Down or Synthetic?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BetzCO
Trip Reports (0)

Down or Synthetic?

Post by BetzCO »

Debating between down and synthetic for a jacket. The only downside (pun intended) to down that I see is that it does poorly when wet. I don't plan on doing any bushwhacking or anything so I don't think the higher rip potential is a real consideration.

What do you all wear and why?

Thanks!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Down or Synthetic?

Post by justiner »

I usually go with down, as the pack-ability/weight is on average just a little bit better than synthetic. A lot of down these days has a hydrophobic coating, which mitigates a lot of the... downsides of the material. If I bring a down jacket, I'll also have some sort of rain gear with me as well - even a UL rain jacket will work just fine, and the problem of getting the down wet is mitigated to just my own sweat.
Nodelic
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nodelic »

In the context of winter mountaineering I can't give a good opinion, but in the context of my girlfriend always stealing my light down jacket over her light synthetic jacket, I think down is probably warmer/more comfortable.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I use both in winter conditions. If it is really cold I will wear a synthetic (Arcteryx Atom LT) while I am moving. The Atom LT is warm but breathes well because of its side vents. Then I throw on down (Feathered Friends Helios) while I'm taking breaks or at the summit. Always make sure the jacket has a hood as it adds a ton of warmth for not much more money.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I've got a couple different insulating jackets and I find myself reaching for my synthetic (polartec alpha) ones much more often than my down ones. The down jackets are too warm for anything but the coldest days or the most sedentary pursuits. That said, if I'm carrying an insulted jacket in my pack for use when I'm stopped on a longer break or the summit then it's a down jacket for sure because none of the synthetics I've tried offer the same warmth to weight ratio or packability as an 800fp down jacket does.

So, I guess my answer is that you should get both but but the synthetic one first cuz it'll see more use.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Colorado is dry, so the chance of your down getting wet is pretty much nil, save falling in a creek or multiday springtime camping trip in the rain.

With that said, I think the newer breathable synthetic jackets (e.g., OR uberlayer, Pata Nano-air) are 10x more comfortable than just about any down jacket since the materials stretch and breath. You lose wind resistance, but nothing that can't be fixed by adding a shell over it or by only wearing it to Pearl Street on mild days.
Make wilderness less accessible.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Down for packability because it compresses well, synth for resisting compression like when against a colder surface (e.g. car seat), but aside from those and given equal warmth, it usually comes down to other things like weight or features (hood, pockets, water repellancy, color). Some jackets are hybrid with down core and synth sleeves too.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

As most of the posts above allude to, the entire "down vs synthetic" debate is pretty much obsolete with the advent of hydrophobic down, better waterproofing finishes, and advanced synthetic materials.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Also consider that the durability/longevity of down is *MUCH* longer than synthetic insulating materials. At least in my experience.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Jacket... for what? My emergency puffy/extreme cold jacket is down. The jacket I where the other 99.97% of the time is synthetic (Nano-air hoodie).
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

I would have previously voted down, but then i found a Patagonia Nanopuff jacket at a thrift store. it's awesome. very comfy, very warm for how light it is, very packable. and it doesn't poke me with down feathers.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

SkaredShtles wrote:Also consider that the durability/longevity of down is *MUCH* longer than synthetic insulating materials. At least in my experience.
I'm just bringing this up out of curiosity. In my mind down is typically the more fragile when it comes to clothing and sleeping bags. I'm not saying it isn't the more durable, but do you think that down garments tend to last longer because people may treat them more like a breakable and tend to baby them? I feel like that's why most of my down is in great condition, partially cause I rarely use it and always tuck it away nicely in the closet after a trip where I probably didn't use it anyway - except for my sleeping bag... cause I only have one, and it's full of patchwork and seam-seal cause of dumb ideas to sleep outside by fires.

Or maybe you're just speaking to the longevity of the thermal properties? Not the garment itself?