snow and snowshoes

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: snow and snowshoes

Post by kingshimmers »

AlexeyD wrote:The need for snowshoes depends on a lot of things, not just the depth and extent of snow cover, but also the nature of the snow, the temperature, how recent the last snowfall was, whether or not it has been tracked out, etc. these are things you'll need to determine on a case by case basis.
AND sometimes you won't be able to tell what the end of your route looks like from where you're starting, so you bring them anyway just in case.
"Be the beta you wish to find."
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Skis are for sure better than snow shoes, but there is a major price difference. You can buy top of the line snow shoes for less than 300, and it would be easy to drop 2k on a skimo setup (skis, bindings, boots).
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote:it would be easy to drop 2k on a skimo setup (skis, bindings, boots).
You can probably do a bit better than that. See for example https://www.cripplecreekbc.com/collections/packages.

It's also easier to find decent-quality used AT gear than was the case a few years ago. Here's one forum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1481122478829758/. Just make sure to get tech bindings, not old-style frame bindings.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

gotcha. I'm not very familiar with AT skis or what it's like to use them uphill. but I can see the advantages for sure. out of my budget for this season, i think.
Igloo Ed
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Igloo Ed »

Like Kingshimmers said, take them along anyway. If you know the mountain well, you might be able to estimate the conditions you'll encounter from previous reports. It would be nice to be able to go to the trailhead the day before and ask the conditions. Or, ask here if anyone has been up recently. I mostly go into RMNP and the snow has been sticking up high. I would want to take snowshoes on any of the peaks up north/here.