Hiking first 14'er solo

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Hiking first 14'er solo

Post by Eli Boardman »

I am fairly confident SchralpTheGnar is just stirring the pot with this solo climbing nonsense. I didn't see a single other person or car from trailhead to summit to trailhead on Humboldt, Little Bear, Antero, Yale, La Plata, and Columbia, although all but the last two were in winter. That's not even counting the dozens of shorter peaks I've climbed in CO that probably see a few ascents a month.

Solo climbing is where it's at, but the right partners can make for a good time too.
CHWitte wrote:we wrote a book about our experiences and stories.
Yes, I noticed the advertisement you attach to every post.
ORION
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

Another poster stated “For pure safety purposes, it is best not to hike any 14 "solo." When you hike solo, your potential injury now becomes other people's problem”

Of course, for pure safety purposes, it’s best not to hike at all. But since we’re doing it anyway, a little risk is inherent, even invited. And although I love hiking with others, going solo is a unique and rewarding experience...well worth the added risk, IMO. One ABSOLUTE essential for going solo is an emergency signaling device (mine’s a SPOT).

As for your injury becoming another person’s problem if your solo: good point, but we’re not talking Everest or K2 here. If you get injured on a 14er, every single one of us up there will not only be willing to help you, there will probably be a competition to be the first to help you. :-D
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Jim Davies wrote:He's joking, I'm joking, we're all joking. "Solo" just means you don't have a partner, in my definition. "Alone" is different. Oh, and no dogs. Dogs count as partners.
Was Remco joking when he asked for advice? I don't think so. Then why should we give him some jokes? Not all of us are joking.

According to standard dictionaries, "Solo " and "Alone" mean the same thing.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

ORION wrote:Another poster stated “For pure safety purposes, it is best not to hike any 14 "solo." When you hike solo, your potential injury now becomes other people's problem”

Of course, for pure safety purposes, it’s best not to hike at all. But since we’re doing it anyway, a little risk is inherent, even invited. And although I love hiking with others, going solo is a unique and rewarding experience...well worth the added risk, IMO. One ABSOLUTE essential for going solo is an emergency signaling device (mine’s a SPOT).

As for your injury becoming another person’s problem if your solo: good point, but we’re not talking Everest or K2 here. If you get injured on a 14er, every single one of us up there will not only be willing to help you, there will probably be a competition to be the first to help you. :-D
I second that. Thanks!
CHWitte
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

ORION wrote:Another poster stated “For pure safety purposes, it is best not to hike any 14 "solo." When you hike solo, your potential injury now becomes other people's problem”

True, but some calculated risk you can control. Hiking with someone or solo is within that realm. Hiking in general does indeed have inherent risk but it's risk you cannot control. So, your comparison for pure safety purposes is not perfect. However, if you do choose to hike solo, I agree that a SPOT device is a good idea.
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

For hiking solo you should pick a route well within your ability and let someone know where you are going, when you expect to be back and when to call search and rescue if they haven’t heard from you.

Is that better?
CHWitte
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:For hiking solo you should pick a route well within your ability and let someone know where you are going, when you expect to be back and when to call search and rescue if they haven’t heard from you.

Is that better?
+1 =D>
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015