Hiking first 14'er solo

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Remco
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking first 14'er solo

Post by Remco »

Hi there,

I'm planning to hike my first 14'er (in 20 years) this summer, but my wife, kids, and best friend have all wussed-out on me and now it looks like I'm going solo. I live in Western Colorado and am planning on hiking Sherman or La Plata first because I really want to avoid the crowds. Does anyone have advice for going solo on these peaks?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hiking first 14'er solo

Post by highpilgrim »

You won't be solo on either one of those peaks.

Have fun.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

highpilgrim wrote:You won't be solo on either one of those peaks.

Have fun.
Depends on the timing.

I come out to Colorado in the 'summer' but its late June. I've climbed LaPlata and only saw one other group on the way up and they seemed to disappear in the mist. Climbed Wetterhorn last year and met a guy coming down but had the place to myself after that. I even climbed Sherman a few years ago and very few people about. Now I did Quandry in August on a Saturday and was pretty shocked at the crowds.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
RonfarZ3
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RonfarZ3 »

I think it's more when you start climbing.

I climbed Grays Peak again a few years ago and started a bit before sunrise. There were a handful of other people around on the hike up, but there were certainly a lot more coming back down.

Another alternative would be to do a non-standard route. I did LaPlata from the Southwest Ridge route and only ran into people at the summit. Takes a little effort to get to the trailhead for that route, though . . .
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

My "hiking" friends have pretty much resigned themselves to lawn chairs and craft beer on weekends in the summer. So I hike solo almost all the time now. There's nothing more to prepare for than if you were going with a partner.

Solitude on La Plata will depend on the time you hit the trail and the day. Sherman is not nearly as crowded as it once was so you may find the summit all to yourself at times. La Plata is a much tougher hike than Sherman especially for a first of the season. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
strayster2
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

Don't underestimate La Plata. I felt like I was in pretty good hiking shape when I did it last summer and it kicked my butt. The ridge felt like it was never going to end ("Oh... so THIS is what they mean by 'Sustained Class 2'.")

But yeah, you won't be alone.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Rollie Free wrote:Depends on the timing.
I think I've been up Sherman 6 or 7 times. I take my brand new hikers there because I think it's the easiest hike in the 14ers, except maybe for Handies which is too far away.

In those 6 or 7 trips, all started at various times and seasons, I have never been anywhere near alone on it. So I'll stand by my comment.

Some solitude might happen on La Plata. That TH is more off the beaten track. Start early, go midweek, and you can find some quiet if that's your intent.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

Remco wrote:Hi there,

I'm planning to hike my first 14'er (in 20 years) this summer, but my wife, kids, and best friend have all wussed-out on me and now it looks like I'm going solo. I live in Western Colorado and am planning on hiking Sherman or La Plata first because I really want to avoid the crowds. Does anyone have advice for going solo on these peaks?
I did both Sherman and La Plata solo. Didn't see anyone else on Sherman until I was descending, but things will probably be busier in June.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

highpilgrim wrote:
I think I've been up Sherman 6 or 7 times. I take my brand new hikers there because I think it's the easiest hike in the 14ers, except maybe for Handies which is too far away.

In those 6 or 7 trips, all started at various times and seasons, I have never been anywhere near alone on it. So I'll stand by my comment.

Some solitude might happen on La Plata. That TH is more off the beaten track. Start early, go midweek, and you can find some quiet if that's your intent.
I've hiked Sherman 30-40 times...maybe more. I use it as a training peak along with the surrounding 13ers. I'm up there every year multiple trips. I've stood solo on the summit many times especially very early in the season or very late...and in the winter. Just depends on the day. Obviously weekdays are better. I would not count on solitude July - Sept unless the weather is crappy or you go mid week. Its become much less crowded in recent years. I'm guessing it has something to do with the paving of Guanella Pass. Now those looking for an "easy" first 14er opt for Bierstadt. (Quandary has also exploded in popularity.) Sherman is further away and requires a better vehicle to reach the trailhead near the forest gate. Although a 4x4 is not needed (unless snowy) a higher clearance vehicle and good tires is a must. I consider Sherman to be the easiest of the 14ers. La Plata is a much bigger bite.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ORION
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

La Plata’s (standard) Northwest Ridge probably wouldn’t be a good choice for a 1st 14er if your solo. Early in the year you might have to cross a few snow fields, which can be a little dangerous, and it can make it difficult to stay on route.

I was up there last year when an inexperienced hiker got separated from his partner and had to spent the night up near the summit.

In general, hiking solo for your first 14er shouldn’t be a problem if you pick the right mountain and conditions. There are several appropriate mountains you could choose from...just make sure of the trail conditions (no snow on route), and the weather (no thunderstorms!).
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

highpilgrim wrote:

When we did Sherman in March last year, we didn't see a single other person above treeline the whole day. In the summer it's undoubtedly a lot busier. When I did La Plata (southwest ridge) last June, I also didn't see a single person the whole day, including on the summit.

To the OP, I highly recommend La Plata from Winfield (soutwest ridge), as that's one of the prettiest walk-up 14ers I've done. Looking across to Sayers at sunrise was amazing.
Sunrise from La Plata southwest ridge.jpg
Sunrise from La Plata southwest ridge.jpg (628.66 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Remco
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Remco »

Wow, thank you all so much for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I hope you all have a great weekend.