First Trip Planning

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JRDew
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

First Trip Planning

Post by JRDew »

I am planning my first 14ing trip and have questions :-D A little about me: I have hiked very little at elevation but I have experience hiking and backpacking (in flat Indiana). I do triathlons and completed a HALF Ironman (70.3) last year.
1. I am planning for the last week of August or the first week of September. I know you can never predict weather but is this too late for a rookie? I have heard some say too late and some say it is the best time to go.
2. I don't know when I will be able to do this again so I want to make the most of my trip. I plan to take a day in Denver to acclimate before heading out. I have found a couple potential routes and I would like suggestions on what you think I could/should attempt on my first outing.
Grays and Torreys combo -- https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=t ... rreys+Peak
Beirstandt, Sawtooth, Evans combo -- https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=b ... +Bierstadt
Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross combo -- https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=b ... +and+Bross
Are these legit combos that people actually do? Would you recommend them? Something else?
If I don't get sick and all goes well I would like to do 1 combo on day 2, hang out in Denver on day 3 and do another combo on day 4. I am sure you are all laughing at me right now but that is why I am here asking the questions and not just running up the side of a mountain. Like I said, I want to get the most out of my trip as possible.
Thank you for your help!
Last edited by JRDew on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First Trip Planning

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Are these legit combos that people actually do? Would you recommend them? Something else?
Those are, in fact actual routes. In fact, all three of those are probably in the top 5 combos there are in Colorado for 14ers. I don't think that is too late, but mountain weather is random so no one knows whether or not you could get snowed out randomly.

From a ultrarunner who does 100 mile races, don't try to over-estimate your ability just because you do half iron mans. Your fitness doesn't mean crap if you can't handle the thinner air. There have been times when i haven't acclimated fully and have lost my breath from nothing more than a brisk walk at 14,000ft. Even on day two i would suspect you are not going to be feeling great, especially if you expect to get a good night's sleep at the trailhead at 11,000ft.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

No offense, but a 70.3 triathlon, whilst very impressive, is actually called a HALF Ironman.
Not that it isn't impressive, but we don't call 13.1 a 13.1 marathon.

Now that that is settled, I think you have some good ideas for mountain climbing. If your running ability is strong, and the altitude doesn't bother you too much (which is a very individual thing), you should be able to handle those types of climbs, since you are used to efforts of 4 hours and up.

The only one I would caution you on is the Sawtooth. I have never personally done that, but it is a fairly serious undertaking for someone who hasn't done a lot of mountains. The Sawtooth is definitely CLIMBING, as opposed to the others on your list, which are hikes. Bierstadt by itself is one of the easiest 14ers there is, and would give you a good idea as to whether you can handle the others on your list or not.

The usual disclaimers: start early, take lots of food and water, be sure you don't get lost (pretty hard to do on those standard routes), and turn around quickly if you see black clouds or lightning, even if it isn't close.

Best wishes on some great climbs. I was a triathlete in the 1990's, specialized to just running marathons and ultras in the late 1990's, and climbed my first 14er in 2001. Climbing is now more fun to me than running (perhaps since I don't get to do it every day).
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

First, I'd endorse the good advice in the previous two comments.

Additionally:

If you only have 3 days and if you're a fit as you say you are, I might rearrange your schedule a bit and do this: 13er acclimation hike (not just to acclimate but to see how you do at altitude & possibly reconsider the other days if you have problems), combo, combo. (I'm assuming that you recover well - many people would find this to be a bit too much. But I'd really advise an acclimation hike in any event, even if you have to forgo one of your combo days.)

As for the combos themselves, yes they are all legit. It may be my 14er snobbery kicking in, but they tend to be very crowded even on week days (not the sawtooth itself, but everything else on your list). And Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross is kind of a meh hike apart from the economy of getting multiple 14ers in a day. Grays/Torreys is a great intro to the 14ers, so I would recommend that one. But maybe venture a little further afield for your other 14er day. If you're set on a combo, then maybe Belford/Oxford - you sound like you have the fitness for it.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

+1 For Belford/Oxford with running down Elkhead Pass. Its a beautiful way to return down from Belford without doing the boring switchbacks.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

First week of Sept is as good a time as any, and monsoon might be on its tail end. Check the weather, of course, but generally expect thunderstorms after noon in CO summer (i.e start early and plan to be at least on your way back to tree line by noon). Note that these trailheads will get crowded on weekends (another reason for an early start), and you won't be alone even on weekdays.

Grays+Torreys would be my recommendation for starters, as it has the best trail. Your fitness level should be fine, but you don't know yet your response to altitude... always best to introduce only one new variable at a time. The Sawtooth would likely be a bit much for a beginner (but you could do just Bierstadt); the way down Bross, i remember to be pretty loose.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

ultrarunningkid wrote:+1 For Belford/Oxford with running down Elkhead Pass. Its a beautiful way to return down from Belford without doing the boring switchbacks.
Agree. Missouri Gulch is amazing, though that late in the season you're well past peak wildflowers. That's a fairly long day in the mountains, though; I'd consider it only if you acclimate well.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

ultrarunningkid wrote:From a ultrarunner who does 100 mile races, don't try to over-estimate your ability just because you do half iron mans. Your fitness doesn't mean crap if you can't handle the thinner air. There have been times when i haven't acclimated fully and have lost my breath from nothing more than a brisk walk at 14,000ft. Even on day two i would suspect you are not going to be feeling great, especially if you expect to get a good night's sleep at the trailhead at 11,000ft.
"Triathletes" tend to do poorly, especially on multi day outings. Trust me, my father has done like 35 "140.6" triathlons, and he's horrible at elevation. It's all in how they train (no pain, no gain) and their weak aerobic system. Generally speaking of course, but I have yet to personally meet a "triathlete" who really understands endurance training. I know the pros do, but that's not what you find on their instagram....

My advice to the OP, slow down in your hiking, especially if you are stringing multiple days together. And september is an excellent month for hiking in the high country, especially if you do it after labor day when the crowds tend to subside.

If comfortable on class 3 terrain, I would suggest Kelso ridge up to Torreys and then over to Grays.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

bump the suggestion for a 13er warmup. maybe hit Cupid and Grizzly (Sniktau optional) from Loveland pass on day 2, and head to kite lake to tackle DeCaLiBro on day 4.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

stephakett wrote:bump the suggestion for a 13er warmup. maybe hit Cupid and Grizzly (Sniktau optional) from Loveland pass on day 2, and head to kite lake to tackle DeCaLiBro on day 4.
I agree but if your goal is maximization of 14er summits (not necessarily the best goal but for many it is a primary concern) then Bierstadt is about as easy as some of the easiest 13ers. Plus you can't get lost on the main route in Bierstadt even if you tried.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I think your plan is fine for the most part. If your goal is conquering 14ers skip the "acclimation" step of a 13er and just go for it. You'll know quickly enough how well you're handling altitude. You'll probably get lots of advice to seek out far-away peaks for better scenery, more solitude, beauty, etc. Ignore it all unless you want to spend your trip driving for hours.

Since you didn't mention if you're doing these on your own, I'll assume you're solo. That said, for the inexperienced, the Sawtooth is not a great idea. Neither is Kelso ridge. DEFINITELY not! Mostly due to route finding and the possibility of disaster if something goes wrong. Grays and Torrey's is great. The Decalibron is a fine choice. Belford/Oxford combo is a big bite. Although its not technically difficult, its a looong journey...including driving. See above comment about far-away peaks. Bierstadt is one of the easiest, but don't underestimate it. It is definitely not THE easiest. If you're feeling full of muscles you could even throw Quandary into the mix. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Kcmartinez22
14ers: 56  9 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kcmartinez22 »

All doable. Though why hang in Denver in between only to deal with traffic, etc? Perhaps save that for the last night. It would be far more enjoyable to hang in one of the smaller mountain towns near the peaks and grab a trail run through one of the gorgeous basins, or at camp in between.....