When did you first start climbing Mountains?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

When did you first start climbing mountains?

Before 1960s
2%
1960s
8%
1970s
14%
1980s
11%
1990s
15%
2000s
18%
2010s
32%

Total votes: 137
rijaca
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits244 ski1 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: When did you first start climbing Mountains?

Post by rijaca » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

Pikes Peak Aug 1971.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
boudreaux
14ers:summits57 
13ers:summits113 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:12 am

Mtnman200 wrote:First 10: Deer Mtn. (8/28/66) [as a five-year old]
!

I was a five year old on 8/28/66 as well, but was just kickin it on the bayou then.
Ragin Cajun
Matt
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits208 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

1993--My first ascent of Emory Peak, 7,825ft, in Big Bend National Park
2001--Drive to Yellowstone, first time over 10k. Big news! Later that month, first 13er, Wheeler Peak in Great Basin National Park
2002--First 9er, Mt. Wrightson and first 12er, Humphreys Peak, both in AZ.
2002--First 14er, Longs. Big step up. I thought it'd be easy since it was in a national park--flatlander logic.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
jrbren_vt
14ers:summits4 
13ers:summits3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:47 am

rob runkle wrote:
jrbren_vt wrote:I think I am going to get hung up the definition of "mountaineering" & "actual mountain". I became interested in mountains when I moved to Vermont in 1989 and climbed Mt Mansfield. I grew up in the midwest & never traveled so Mt Mansfield was the first mountain I ever saw. When your used to the plains, it looks impressive. That's hiking though, not mountaineering, with my definition of mountaineering. I would also not call any of the peaks I have done in CO as "mountaineering", they are all class 1 or 2 walk ups (hikes). I would call a couple of the peaks I did in Scotland closer to mountaineering then those. Is is class 3/4 scrambling Mountaineering (to me, yes) ? Is it mountaineering if you go as a client with a guide service ? I think all of my glacier climbs have been, and will in the future be done in that capacity. I think we all agree class 5 peaks are mountaineering in summer. What about class 1/2 winter ascents ? Good topic though, sorry for being a wet blanket.
Yeah, that is an inevitable difficulty in the definition. I would have gone with Mt Mansfield as the start.
Yeah, but I am way too anal retentive for that :lol:
Best Regards - John
jrbren_vt
14ers:summits4 
13ers:summits3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am

Trailrunner wrote:
jrbren_vt wrote:I think I am going to get hung up the definition of "mountaineering" & "actual mountain". I became interested in mountains when I moved to Vermont in 1989 and climbed Mt Mansfield.
As a Vermonter, climbing Mt. Mansfield seemed to be a rite of passage - my 5th grade class climbed it (the school took the 5th graders on a field trip every year, after hiking Mt. Pisgah in 4th grade to "warm us up").
I was honored when I read famous Himalayan climb chronicler Elizabeth Hawley had only climbed one mountain in her life, and that it was Mt Mansfield :) . I moved away from Vt to MA 4+ years ago for a job change, but there is much a miss about Vermont, especially seeing that mountain on every clear day. Cheers.
Best Regards - John
dpage
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits22 winter2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 pm

I don't think most of what I've done counts as mountaineering because mostly hiking the 14ers in summer conditions doesn't seem that different from just hiking mountains anywhere else. So I guess I haven't started yet.
boudreaux
14ers:summits57 
13ers:summits113 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm

From a mountaineering point of view, I would say my 1st mountaineering climb was Willow BM aka Mt Silverthorne in the Gores on July 21, 1992. South face class 4/5? Followed up by East Thorn, same day. No trails to follow in the upper Gore basin below the Zodiac Spires to the headwall of the basin. Just picked a good solid line and solved a few problems on the way up. It was a great day in the Gores.
Ragin Cajun
myfeetrock
14ers:summits37 winter1 
13ers:summits12 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by myfeetrock » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:43 am

I hiked up Guadalupe peak when I was 8. I remember being able to see what seemed forever. That's when it started. Years later in 2000 I came to Colorado. I saw the Bells for the first time in real life. Calendars don't do it justice. On the way up to Creator lake I saw a pointed peak up to my left. It had a look and feel to it that would stay with me for another 8 years. After a year of ready Roach's book, and studying this site, I went for it. I climbed Pyramid, and was forever smitten. I went back 3 more times, and plan for a 5th summit this summer.
Kansan
14ers:summits21 
13ers:summits5 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Kansan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:25 am

I'm 70 and still hiking and climbing. On a visit to to WY from KS when I was about 10 years old all I talked about was I wanted to climb a mountain. My Uncle Bill took me on a hike/climb of a un-named mountain. I remember going straight up the mountain in loose rock. We made it to a false summit and my Uncle Bill said we made to the first peak. I was tired and I know he was tired, so we thought this was good enough. I had climbed a mountain. On the way down he was showing me how to slide down the mountain in the loose rock. I was not getting the hang of it was and way behind my Uncle Bill. I lost my balance forward and started running straight down the mountains. I was out of control and couldn't stop running. My Uncle Bill was ahead and below a little drop off. I ran off the drop off and dived head first toward my Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill turned around in time to see me and catch me around the waist. The first mountain is a good memory of my Uncle Bill and to being in the mountains. I always think about keeping my center gravity balance while on the mountain.
Jay521
14ers:summits42 winter10 
13ers:summits153 winter25 
Trip Reports (51)

Post by Jay521 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 am

July 1960 Mount Audubon with the Boy Scouts. I was 12 and felt like I had just climbed Everest. I think my addiction started that day

First 14er was Grays Peak on Veteran's Day 1971. I had gotten out of the Navy in Sept of that year and did the hike to honor friends I had lost in Nam. Kinda got the 14er bug as a result of that...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
sunny1
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits183 winter6 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:01 am

I was 7. In 2nd grade.

Mom raised me & my brothers as a single mom.
I attribute my love of the outdoors to her. Amazing lady.
She took us out hiking, even prior to age 7.

My first summit that I recall was in the Bennington, VT area, in the 1970's.
Mom was a school teacher in a multi-grade, 1 room classroom.
She took us kids, along with some other students & parents up Bald Mtn, a 2er.
I recall snow on the ground and seeing a porcupine, and being utterly thrilled with the adventure.
I hiked up under my own power, but got a piggyback ride down on an 8th graders back.
Probably skewed my expectations of a hiking partner for years! :lol:

Bald Mtn doesn't meet the OP's definition of "mountaineering", but it was a mountain, and the start of many, many great things for me.
Fun topic!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Stratosfearsome
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter27 
13ers:summits214 ski7 winter3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am

Sawtooth Peak (12,343ft) (by Mineral King) in Sequoia NP in 1992. I was seven and my dad took me up the south face. I counted twenty-four lakes from the top (fly-fishing was my #1 priority back then.) I asked him if he thought any seven-year-olds had climbed Sawtooth before and he said: "oh no, never any seven-year-olds. Maybe one or two eight-year-olds." Cheeky fellow, my dad.
Sawtooth.jpg
Sawtooth.jpg (644.83 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
I am a dark poet on the run,
a mountain man who worships the sun.