When did you first start climbing Mountains?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

When did you first start climbing mountains?

Before 1960s
2%
1960s
8%
1970s
14%
1980s
11%
1990s
15%
2000s
18%
2010s
32%

Total votes: 137
SurfNTurf
14ers:summits58 winter28 
13ers:summits109 winter9 
Trip Reports (47)

Re: When did you first start climbing Mountains?

Post by SurfNTurf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

I tried Mt. Sneffels and succeeded on Windom, Redcloud and Sunshine in 2009 at age 23. I didn't begin mountaineering in earnest, however, until after a brief detour back to the East Coast. My pursuit of the full 14er list and bigger mountains like Rainier, etc. began in 2010.

Peakbagging was my sole obsession from 2011-2015. I still love it, but after nearly a decade I find myself diversifying my outdoor portfolio more and more. I still attempt plenty of 13ers and 14ers, I'm just equally stimulated by desert hiking, canyoneering, alpine lakes, backpacking, kayaking and so on.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
crestone14ers
14ers:summits58 

Post by crestone14ers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Started hiking Catskills and Adirondaks in H.S. and College and climbed first 14er, Mt. of the Holy Cross via the Cross Couloir in 1975. Completed the 14ers if my memory serves me well in 2004, after climbing many other rock and snow routes and peaks in the intervening years.

Now I will only go on 14ers and popular 13ers in the times, like late fall, winter and early spring. Why? Because the peaks are too freakin crowded and I've always gone to the wilderness to get away from crowds.

You've got to be someone very special, like my nephews to even get me to consider a 14er in the summertime.
AnnaG22
14ers:summits58 ski7 winter20 
13ers:summits112 ski3 winter11 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:Peakbagging was my sole obsession from 2011-2015. I still love it, but after nearly a decade I find myself diversifying my outdoor portfolio more and more. I still attempt plenty of 13ers and 14ers, I'm just equally stimulated by desert hiking, canyoneering, alpine lakes, backpacking, kayaking and so on.
Shift the range to 2014-2016 and the activities to running, skiing, getting back into cycling, and hopefully backpacking more again next year, and I'm right there in the same boat, Jeff. The outdoors in general are great. :-D
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
XterraRob
14ers:summits41 winter7 
13ers:summits12 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Hiking in Colorado was extremely enjoyable (and hard earned) throughout the 60s & 70s, it had a completely different vibe than what you experience today. There were no multi-million dollar homes lining the the mountain sides, beta was scarce, no pit stops every 5-10 miles, many of the highways and roads you enjoy today didn't exist, and the trails were about as wild as what you'd find on current day 12ers/13ers (nevermind the fact that Grizzly Bears still roamed in Colorado). It was probably my favorite and more memorable climbing eras (especially given how raw it was compared to modern times).
AnnaG22
14ers:summits58 ski7 winter20 
13ers:summits112 ski3 winter11 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

XterraRob wrote:Hiking in Colorado was extremely enjoyable (and hard earned) throughout the 60s & 70s, it had a completely different vibe than what you experience today. There were no multi-million dollar homes lining the the mountain sides, beta was scarce, no pit stops every 5-10 miles, many of the highways and roads you enjoy today didn't exist, and the trails were about as wild as what you'd find on current day 12ers/13ers (nevermind the fact that Grizzly Bears still roamed in Colorado). It was probably my favorite and more memorable climbing eras (especially given how raw it was compared to modern times).
YOU'RE A TIME TRAVELER, ROB?!???
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Oman
14ers:summits57 

Post by Oman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm

rijaca wrote:Pikes Peak Aug 1971.
Oddly, I was chasing an apatosaurus on top of Pikes that day and and ran into rijaca. He was with Mickey Hart. We all watched the magma cool.
wildlobo71
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits85 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

While i have a picture of me on Pikes Peak in 1974; I was only learning to walk. First summit of significance was Huron Peak in 2002... focus on what now compels me started in 2009.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
tbaileymd
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits5 

Post by tbaileymd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Came out from Indiana with a friend and climbed Longs in late July, 1999. I had no real climbing plans and learned about Longs from the park visitor center. Had never heard of it. Returned with my wife to climb it again with her a few weeks later. Even after that, I still really didn't know what a fourteener was, how many there were, etc. We were just climbing the tallest mountain in the park. We had done the cables route on Half Dome a couple of months before.

Then Elbert and Capitol in 2000. I know, not the recommended order.

Just finished the 58 on Monday on the "S" Ridge of Snowmass. Thank you Bill for a great resource over the years, and to Joe, Tom, and Greg for the climbs this week.

Still living in Indiana.
Harrison
14ers:summits21 

Post by Harrison » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 am

I started at a running camp (with a current forum member too) with a double of Gray's and Torrey's in 2011. I found out at midnight there was enough room for me in a van to go with the group, and stayed up until 3 AM packing for the drive to Colorado. The hike was long, memorable for me with several of my closest friends. Our group was in great spirits going up, talking about doubling, but when we got to the summit of that peak the chatter stopped. The rest of my immediate group started back down, while I headed over to the saddle. When I turned around 15 minutes later, I found that they had followed me after all.

We hiked Mt. Harvard later that week. One of my favorite weeks of camping ever, and it got me hooked on exploring mountains. To think I nearly missed going on the camp out too.
jladderud
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits40 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jladderud » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks to Harrison for reviving this thread. I'm having a slower morning at the office.

I can't remember the exact year; but my first time above tree line was in the early 2000's on Sacajawea Peak in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in Oregon. I haven't made it back there much since; but that area still holds a special place in my heart.

The mountains got put on hold for a while during high school and college. Then I found my way back with my first 14er in 2013 when I moved to Colorado for grad school.

First mountaineering was 2016 on Rainier
BradyLampert
14ers:summits39 
13ers:summits3 

Post by BradyLampert » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

First summit was in Feb. 2017 on Quandary..since then you could say I’ve got an addiction, almost on average have hiked one once a weekend. I came from the flat lands of North Dakota so of course I wanna hike all the tallest mountains, never saw them until I moved out here.
Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.
hokiehead
14ers:summits31 winter1 
13ers:summits21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by hokiehead » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:45 pm

when I moved to Colorado five years ago.