San Luis and Uncompaghre this past week.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Loves Thin Air
14ers:summits4 

San Luis and Uncompaghre this past week.

Post by Loves Thin Air » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm

A group of friends and I come to Colorado to hike mountains every year. This past week, we were here again. This was my 6th trip. And today I joined 14er's.com after years of visiting for good reading and route/trip reports.

We did San Luis on Friday and Uncompaghre on Saturday. Summited both days. I stayed back on Sunday while the other three hiked Wetterhorn. (I don't do Class 3. Lol.)

I want to say that almost every person I've come across on the mountain seem to be genuinely cool people. Not only will they stop and chit chat for a few minutes if they have the time but also seem to "look out for" their fellow hikers. This makes this hobby/sport so much more fun! It's like a comradery on the mountain. It's been such a great time, every time I've been out there.
glenmiz
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits97 ski1 winter4 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: San Luis and Uncompaghre this past week.

Post by glenmiz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Welcome!
Aim high to end high
Megan
14ers:summits38 ski2 
13ers:summits2 

Post by Megan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:52 pm

You picked a rad group of mountains to go after! Uncompahgre has been my favorite ...so far :) Did your friends end up summiting Wetterhorn on Sunday? I tried for it with a couple buddies but we turned around on the ridge after we heard some loud claps of thunder. I'm bummed that we got so close and didn't summit, but I'm excited to have a reason to go back there!
Loves Thin Air
14ers:summits4 

Post by Loves Thin Air » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 am

They DID summit! They have been coming every year (They started started it.) for 20 years. Eric now has 34 different mountains and Mark doesn't really keep track. Lol.

Lake City is a neat little mountain town. The Packer Saloon (Go Pack, GO!!!) has great food. Russ Brown's Gallery is a really neat place to stop and BUY something for your wall. Russ is one of VERY few that I've come across in my life that can do cars, planes and portrait painting equally well. I have no affiliation with either of these. Just pointing out that there's other cool stuff to do while "acclimating".

We also did the Alpine Loop in the Cherokee TrailHawk (that we drove from Columbus), as well as the drive up the 4x4 roads to the trailheads.

It was a great week and I hope to do some more.