Beginner looking for guidance

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CHWitte
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Beginner looking for guidance

Post by CHWitte » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 am

brichardsson wrote:
osprey wrote: Bottled water may save a few ounces of weight but disposable plastics are an environmental disaster.
if you think that disposable plastic bottles are the problem, that is, to use the current parlance, fake news. next thing you know you'll be after my plastic straw.

=D>
(promotional text removed)
yaktoleft13
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits94 winter5 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by yaktoleft13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 am

brichardsson wrote:
osprey wrote: Bottled water may save a few ounces of weight but disposable plastics are an environmental disaster.
if you think that disposable plastic bottles are the problem, that is, to use the current parlance, fake news. next thing you know you'll be after my plastic straw.
Straws are a huuuuuuuuuge problem too. +1 for banning plastic straws.
LURE
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits11 

Post by LURE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:49 am

yaktoleft13 wrote:Straws are a huuuuuuuuuge problem too. +1 for banning plastic straws.
lolz
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (11)

Post by yaktoleft13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 am

LURE wrote:
yaktoleft13 wrote:Straws are a huuuuuuuuuge problem too. +1 for banning plastic straws.
lolz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw
LURE
14ers:summits32 

Post by LURE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:53 am

yaktoleft13 wrote:
LURE wrote:
lolz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw
lolz
stephakett
14ers:summits28 
13ers:summits34 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by stephakett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am

osprey wrote:I respectfully disagree with the suggestion to buy bottled water. Bottled water may save a few ounces of weight but disposable plastics are an environmental disaster. 18 billion tons of plastics wind up in the oceans every year. May I suggest a stainless steel bottle such as Klean Kanteen.
It will last an entire lifetime and save untold number of plastic bottles winding up in landfills, oceans, etc. It weighs more than a plastic bottle but Mother Earth will bless you for your kindness.
i would like to point out that some of us reuse store-bought plastic water bottles for years.
“My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” (Aldous Huxley)
mtree
14ers: List not added

Post by mtree » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am

#1 - Don't overthink this. If you're going up one of the standard routes along the front range you won't need much more than what you'd take for any 5 hour outdoor trek.
#2 - Dress warm enough. Bring layers. You can hike in tennis shoes or whatever. You'll be fine. If it rains you'll get wet feet.
#3 - Bring rain gear. In a pinch, a large plastic garbage bag will work.
#4 - Bring water in whatever container you have.
#5 - Bring whatever food you have on hand.
#6 - Have fun.

That pretty much covers it. All the rest of the stuff is nice to have, but you probably won't need any of it. Just be smart, stay on trail, and don't take any unnecessary risks. Remember that if you find yourself in a questionable or dangerous situation, you can always turn back. Almost forgot...wear sunscreen and sunglasses. Done.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
derekesq
14ers:summits27 
13ers:summits6 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:23 am

Daggermonkey wrote:Suggestions on snacks/food?

I imagine Protein bars and high calorie/high protein items are priority
I've seen people take full meals, seems overkill, but whatever floats people's boat. I go with epic protein bars and some pieces of gluten free bread, and protein / energy bars.
Who is John Galt
kingshimmers
14ers:summits13 
13ers:summits17 winter1 

Post by kingshimmers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 pm

derekesq wrote:

I've seen people take full meals, seems overkill, but whatever floats people's boat. I go with epic protein bars and some pieces of gluten free bread, and protein / energy bars.
It seems overkill until you bring your high-metabolism significant other along and they get hangry 6 miles away from the TH...
"Be the beta you wish to find."
Laura M
14ers:summits22 

Post by Laura M » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm

kingshimmers wrote:
derekesq wrote:

It seems overkill until you bring your high-metabolism significant other along and they get hangry 6 miles away from the TH...
I like to bring along something that I consider a treat (fresh bagel with cream cheese from my favorite local spot, peanut butter and nutella sandwich, a couple of pieces of fried chicken, oreos or some other tasty sweet...). I often find that my appetite decreases with altitude, and sometimes I have to force myself to eat a little something on the summit. For me this is easier to do with something that I would WANT to eat under normal circumstances, rather than with a boring protein bar :)
yaktoleft13
Trip Reports (11)

Post by yaktoleft13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Laura M wrote:
kingshimmers wrote:
derekesq wrote:
I like to bring along something that I consider a treat (fresh bagel with cream cheese from my favorite local spot, peanut butter and nutella sandwich, a couple of pieces of fried chicken, oreos or some other tasty sweet...). I often find that my appetite decreases with altitude, and sometimes I have to force myself to eat a little something on the summit. For me this is easier to do with something that I would WANT to eat under normal circumstances, rather than with a boring protein bar :)
I am so impressed you bring fried chicken with you. That is not something I'd expect to see as a trail snack but I bet is life-changing on the summit
spiderman
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:33 pm

1) Agree 100% with mtree. I wear whatever trail runner feels comfortable to my feet. I grab whatever food I find in a closet, add a couple bottles of Walmart water, and throw in a puffy jacket + rain jacket. If the conditions get really bad, I head down fast. A phone + power bank is my navigation and emergency light source. Day hiking 14ers with trails doesn't require too much stuff. I add a helmet for class 3+ peaks.

2) If you get into multi-day trips, embrace lightweight gear once you decide that you truly love the mountains. It is possible to have a 2 or 3 day backpack that weighs less than 10 pounds.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight

3) Get the peakbagger app and visit Peakbagger.com if you become a hardcore outdoor addict