Beginner looking for guidance

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
osprey
14ers:summits48 winter14 
13ers:summits101 winter19 
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Beginner looking for guidance

Post by osprey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:45 am

Oops! I need to learn to fact check better. I stated that 17 billion tons of plastics win up yearly in the oceans.
According to Ocean Conservancy: "Every year, 8 million metric tons of plastics enter our ocean on top of the estimated 150 million metric tons that currently circulate in our marine environment."
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl
brichardsson
14ers: List not added
13ers:summits3 

Post by brichardsson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 am

yaktoleft13 wrote:
LURE wrote:
yaktoleft13 wrote:Straws are a huuuuuuuuuge problem too. +1 for banning plastic straws.
lolz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw
congrats, you found the ONE sea turtle that got a straw stuck up his nose. find me a video of three more (different) sea turtles with straws up their nose. or else just realize that straws take up < 2/100 of one percent of the plastic in the ocean.

and if you're going to tell me one dead sea turtle is enough, then i'm going to tell you my neighbour's kid choked to death on a marble, and i'd like you to start the anti-marble campaign instead of wasting time on your current windmill.
mtree

Post by mtree » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 am

spiderman wrote:1) Agree 100% with mtree. I wear whatever trail runner feels comfortable to my feet. I grab whatever food I find in a closet, add a couple bottles of Walmart water, and throw in a puffy jacket + rain jacket. If the conditions get really bad, I head down fast. A phone + power bank is my navigation and emergency light source. Day hiking 14ers with trails doesn't require too much stuff. I add a helmet for class 3+ peaks.

2) If you get into multi-day trips, embrace lightweight gear once you decide that you truly love the mountains. It is possible to have a 2 or 3 day backpack that weighs less than 10 pounds.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight

3) Get the peakbagger app and visit Peakbagger.com if you become a hardcore outdoor addict
Exactly my point.
When I first started hiking 14ers, I didn't overthink it and just grabbed whatever and took off. Then I got into it and started prepping like I was going to climb Capitol every weekend. Now, I've learned the easy peaks don't require much more than what I'd take for any other 4-5 hour outdoor jaunt and its back to grabbing whatever I have on hand. Funny how I've come full circle.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
mtree

Post by mtree » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 am

osprey wrote:Oops! I need to learn to fact check better. I stated that 17 billion tons of plastics win up yearly in the oceans.
According to Ocean Conservancy: "Every year, 8 million metric tons of plastics enter our ocean on top of the estimated 150 million metric tons that currently circulate in our marine environment."
I like to think I'm a forward thinking "futurist". Not that I'm against reduction, recycling, or reusing. Heck, I'm all for it. I'm just not going cat-ass crazy over it. Being a futurist means ensuring opportunity, advancement and employment for future generations. Thus, the millions of tons of plastics entering the oceans becomes a booming opportunity for future generations to explore! Imagine the possibilities.
brichardsson
13ers:summits3 

Post by brichardsson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 am

osprey wrote:Oops! I need to learn to fact check better. I stated that 17 billion tons of plastics win up yearly in the oceans.
fact: most plastic does not wind up in the ocean, at least not from the united states
fact: most of the plastic that winds up in the ocean comes from three really poluted rivers on the other side of the world.
fact: guess what takes up nearly half of the ocean's plastic waste. just guess. and no, it's not straws, or bottles.

if you could somehow magically prevent *all* plastic from american sources - the plastic that you believe currently enters the oceans - from doing so, the difference would be literally negligible in terms of ocean cleanliness.

look, i'm as green as i can reasonably be. i practice lnt, i believe in solar, wind, tidal power (i live on the coast), anything that can be reasonably done to minimize my impact on the planet, just because it's the right thing to do. but idiots with their straw and bottle crusades are what drive the normal people insane. stop fighting stupid s**t and fight s**t that matters. and protip: straws don't.
nunns
14ers:summits41 
13ers:summits4 

Post by nunns » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:17 am

TomPierce wrote:Sounds good. Personally, I've never been a fan of Camelbacks, although I've used a few over the years. They're a bit heavier, but I can hoist the weight. I just don't like the cleaning/drying issues that come with a Camelback, which I think (?) is aggravated by putting in sports drinks or powders (I like flavored electrolyte tabs in water, fwiw).

Good luck with your 14er'ing!

-Tom
+1. Not to mention the possibility that they can leak and then you lose all of your water. I quit using systems a decade or so ago; they have probably improved since then though.

My most recent strategy is to take a refillable 1L water + a 32 oz. Poweraide & one emergency (gasp) disposable water bottle. Honestly the disposable 0.5 L water bottles are ideal because they are very lightweight and can be easily smashed down when you are done with them. It is pretty much the only time I ever use disposable water bottles, partially because of the environment but partly because I just don't see the point of spending money buying bottled water. Compared to the amount of plastic most Americans use, a few water bottles a year is minimal.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Daggermonkey
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 

Post by Daggermonkey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Probably won't be climbing K2 anytime soon so I dont know how useful Peakbagger is going to be, unless the maps help but idk yet. Thanks for the recommendation though.
There's always SOMEONE out there with a video of a turtle (or similar) with a straw up its nose. I'm sure we could find the dark corners of the interwebz and come across a few other gems. Perhaps we should be more concerned with turtles being addicted to drugs & snorting straws. I hear it's the latest craze...
I would probably still use a camelback/hydro pack system. I have used them before and if stored properly they shouldnt leak. anything can leak if used improperly, even your plastic bottles. I just like the convenience of the hose and washing it wouldn't concern me any.
The more I read up on everything the more I realize I just need hiking pants, maybe better socks/hiking shoes for comfort, and a rain shell for what if's. Possibly a map? or are the basic trails that easy?

I found a book for like $20 called 'Colorado's Fourteeners. From Hikes to Climbs'
its a 3rd edition and seems to have plenty of info on trails and whatnot. would that be a waste of my money given the internet?

So glad everyone in here is helpful even with the side convo's going. I am pleased to see how involved this group is and it gives me great hope for future endeavors. 5.5 days to go....
mtree

Post by mtree » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Sounds like Roach's book. Its a good read. I've found the info on this site to be more valuable and up-to-date.
The basic trails for front range peaks are pretty straightforward. That includes Bierstadt, Quandary, Grays, Torrey's, Lincoln 4 pak, and Sherman (sorta). Once you start exploring the Sawatch range you'll find some trails to be a bit more obscure and route finding becomes necessary in some areas. Still, most of those are also very straightforward. Beyond that, things get much more interesting. Have fun!
Laura M
14ers:summits22 
13ers:summits11 

Post by Laura M » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 am

yaktoleft13 wrote:
I am so impressed you bring fried chicken with you. That is not something I'd expect to see as a trail snack but I bet is life-changing on the summit
It's amazing. Though I have to admit it was not my idea. I saw one of my hiking partners pull some out of his pack on the summit once and was overcome with jealousy. So I started bringing it myself from time to time, and it is every bit as good as you'd imagine it would be :lol:
billycox

Post by billycox » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:31 pm

fact: guess what takes up nearly half of the ocean's plastic waste. just guess. and no, it's not straws, or bottles.

Commercial fishing gear. Nets.
Daggermonkey
14ers:summits2 
13ers:summits1 

Post by Daggermonkey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Laura M wrote:
yaktoleft13 wrote:
I am so impressed you bring fried chicken with you. That is not something I'd expect to see as a trail snack but I bet is life-changing on the summit
It's amazing. Though I have to admit it was not my idea. I saw one of my hiking partners pull some out of his pack on the summit once and was overcome with jealousy. So I started bringing it myself from time to time, and it is every bit as good as you'd imagine it would be :lol:

I wonder how many people bring pizza?
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Daggermonkey wrote:
Laura M wrote:
yaktoleft13 wrote:

I wonder how many people bring pizza?
I do on overnight trips.