How crowded is crowded?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lbethel
Posts: 5
Joined: 8/28/2018
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (1)

How crowded is crowded?

Post by lbethel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Hello all, this may be impossible to answer but I'm attempting to determine if Grays and Torreys, or Bierstadt will be too crowded on Sunday the 23rd. Can anyone describe how crowded these hikes tend to be on the weekends? Are there many hundreds of people on the trail? Are there people every few feet?
User avatar
LURE
Posts: 1204
Joined: 6/28/2011
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits11 

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by LURE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 pm

lbethel wrote:Hello all, this may be impossible to answer but I'm attempting to determine if Grays and Torreys, or Bierstadt will be too crowded on Sunday the 23rd. Can anyone describe how crowded these hikes tend to be on the weekends? Are there many hundreds of people on the trail? Are there people every few feet?
Maybe not necessarily every few feet, but on some weekends it can certainly come close. Hundreds can be an accurate number in summer months. We're getting later into September so it will likely tone down a bit. But if it's a good weather weekend it will still be crowded.
User avatar
denvermikey
Posts: 483
Joined: 8/10/2007
14ers:summits50 
13ers:summits100 
Trip Reports (12)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by denvermikey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Best way to mitigate this is to start pre-dawn, maybe 5 am or so. You will still see plenty of people but you will be astonished at the masses on your way back down.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
User avatar
SchralpTheGnar
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2/26/2008
14ers:summits51 ski49 winter1 
13ers:summits28 ski21 
Trip Reports (20)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by SchralpTheGnar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:20 pm

About 500, people everywhere, I’ve climbed grays and Torrey’s on a Saturday in July and honestly had a blast, didn’t mind the crowds at all. Life is all about perspective and expectations and a prolonged derangement of the senses to achieve the unknown
.
User avatar
wildlobo71
Posts: 2042
Joined: 4/1/2008
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits85 
Trip Reports (3)
Contact:

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by wildlobo71 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

It's how you define porn.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
User avatar
TravelingMatt
Posts: 2175
Joined: 6/29/2005
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits426 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by TravelingMatt » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:33 pm

google: chilkoot pass klondike gold rush
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
User avatar
cnlevan
Posts: 78
Joined: 12/11/2014
14ers:summits11 
Trip Reports (7)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by cnlevan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:56 pm

I say if you see less than 100 people total on that day you can consider it “not crowded” for those peaks.
Put yourself in the way of beauty. - Cheryl Strayed
RETEP 1
Posts: 129
Joined: 9/13/2015
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits17 

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by RETEP 1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 pm

If you grab either summit sometime after 5pm...you might have it to yourself!!!
User avatar
Cruiser
Posts: 1963
Joined: 11/25/2005
14ers:summits50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by Cruiser » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 am

When my son and I climbed Bierstadt earlier this summer on a Sunday there had to be close to 75 people on the summit. During our descent we probably passed 200 or 300 more. I'm not real bothered by the crowds though but if you are then you may want to consider a 14er a little farther from Denver. San Luis comes to mind as a good one that isn't crowded.
Where ever you are... There you are.
User avatar
Harrison
Posts: 49
Joined: 9/4/2017
14ers:summits21 

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by Harrison » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 am

Cruiser wrote:When my son and I climbed Bierstadt earlier this summer on a Sunday there had to be close to 75 people on the summit. During our descent we probably passed 200 or 300 more. I'm not real bothered by the crowds though but if you are then you may want to consider a 14er a little farther from Denver. San Luis comes to mind as a good one that isn't crowded.
Did you summit on a weekday or weekend?
User avatar
denvermikey
Posts: 483
Joined: 8/10/2007
14ers:summits50 
13ers:summits100 
Trip Reports (12)

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by denvermikey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 am

Harrison wrote:
Cruiser wrote:When my son and I climbed Bierstadt earlier this summer on a Sunday there had to be close to 75 people on the summit. During our descent we probably passed 200 or 300 more. I'm not real bothered by the crowds though but if you are then you may want to consider a 14er a little farther from Denver. San Luis comes to mind as a good one that isn't crowded.
Did you summit on a weekday or weekend?
.... :-D
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
User avatar
Jeff Valliere
Posts: 526
Joined: 2/19/2007
14ers:summits58 ski1 winter15 
13ers:summits9 
Trip Reports (8)
Contact:

Re: How crowded is crowded?

Post by Jeff Valliere » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:30 am

Or, if looking for more solitude, there are many fine overlooked non standard routes where, aside from the summit, you may encounter zero to very few people.
Post Reply