help requested - mid-Oct hike?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lowland_hiker
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

help requested - mid-Oct hike?

Post by lowland_hiker »

Hey, locals, I'm wondering if I'm in DEN for two-three days in the next 3-4 weeks will I be able to summit anything? or will trails already be near wash out/obscured by snow?
Since I'm coming from out of town and I've competently navigated a few of these bad boys, but keep in mind it's a business trip and I dont have the space to bring along extra gear like poles, snow shoes, crampons, etc. However I can certainly dress for the cold. I've done Grays in about 4-5" from half the way up. And I dont want to be spending time trying to locate a trail in the talus.

If still navigable, I would appreciate hearing which peaks you suggest in your humble opinions - Elbert? Pikes?? Anything within reasonable drive to DEN and with nearby accommodations the night prior would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
"I-Told-U-So has a brother...his name is Shut-the-Hell-Up!" Montgomery Burns
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: help requested - mid-Oct hike?

Post by Ptglhs »

You won't need crampons in Oct, or Nov, or maybe not even Dec. They're for later in the year when there's enough snow to be consolidated. Bring trekkers or some other form of easily portable traction if you're worried. The days will be shorter, but you won't have to worry about thunderstorms. As long as the forecast isn't calling for a blizzard you shouldn't have issues with weather.

There will probably be snow. It could be a dusting, like in fall of '16, or 2 feet, like Missouri's summit ridge last Oct. Bring layers. The roads should still be driveable. Quandary is paved to the TH, ditto Pikes from the East. DeCaLiBross or Sherman is dirt but close-ish to Denver. Bierstadt should still be accessible.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There are plenty of things to summit. Even if the highest mountains have a lot of snow, the lower elevation peaks probably won't. Of course, storms can happen at anytime in October, even in the lowlands.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lowland_hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lowland_hiker »

thanks. I've done Bierstadt in late Sept - I think I was alone on the trail and there was no bushwacking the willows!
DeLiBross - my reference says its private land and closed (old book) - still true??
lowland_hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lowland_hiker »

maybe a question answered on the routes tab, but did CFI finish that route from Chi Lakes basin to SUmmit Lake on Evans??
christian349
14ers: 21 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by christian349 »

lowland_hiker wrote:thanks. I've done Bierstadt in late Sept - I think I was alone on the trail and there was no bushwacking the willows!
DeLiBross - my reference says its private land and closed (old book) - still true??
Bross technically still is, but all that's stopping you is a sign that is almost universally ignored, you'll be fine.
SeanAlfred
14ers: 12 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeanAlfred »

Plenty of options in october, micro spikes would more than likely be the only extra thing you would need. Also, a few places rent equipment just in case you do need it. I know bent gate in Golden rents, and Gearage in Fort Collins also rents equipment.