Multiple summits in one day

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mike Kirsch
Trip Reports (0)

Multiple summits in one day

Post by Mike Kirsch »

Hi,I am planning a trip next June to Colorado and plan on being there for a few weeks to climb. I have climbed Massive, Quandary, Sherman and a few lower altitude summits. While there, I would like to knock out as many summits as I can so not looking for overly difficult hikes, trying to stick to mountains that are relatively close together. My ultimate goal would be to tackle 10 summits in 10 days. Any suggestions?
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Multiple summits in one day

Post by climbingcue »

Good luck, here is 14 and you will have to be world class shape to get it done in a day (24hrs)

http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/maps/index.html
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Well at the risk of pointing out the obvious, here are the easy multiples:

Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross (and unranked South Bross) can all be done in one day, and it isn't even that hard if you go from Kite Lake.
Grays & Torreys
Bierstadt & Evans (not that easy if you go the standard route due to the WILLOWS getting to Evans)
Shanano & Tabagauche

That would give you 10 in 4 days. You could take rest days in between even, and you wouldn't have to leave the same basic area.

Sunshine & Redcloud is a beautiful double in my opinion. That is in the San Juans though.

Castle & Conundrum is a great intro to the Elks. Not as easy of a double. You can do that from Buena Vista if you don't mind a long drive over Independence Pass through Aspen.

Hope that helps. These are all class 1-2 mountains.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

These three dayhikes are all similar to what you've done already in terms of physical difficulty:

Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross
Grays/Torreys
Bierstadt/Evans (Requires Easy Class 3 via The Sawtooth)

That's eight peaks right there. After that, if possible, I'd suggest driving down to Lake City. Handies, Redcloud, Sunshine, Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre are doable as four separate dayhikes, and they're among the prettiest mountains in the state. (Wetterhorn being the only one that's not a total walk-up.) That gives you 13 summits with three extra days leftover for travel and rest. If you can't make it to the San Juans for whatever reason, you could substitute Buena Vista for Lake City and tackle as many of the Sawatch peaks as you can.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

Honestly, 10 peaks in 10 days is a lot and probably won't be much fun by the end of it. You'll be tired from all the travel, your feet, knees, etc. will probably hurt from all the mileage and vert. Try and enjoy it instead of rushing it. Take in the scenery, stop by some local food joints/breweries (https://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55272), find some hidden gems. Just enjoy the adventure. That's my 2 cents.
sand man
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sand man »

Or you could do this - https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3347
That gives you six or seven in a day depending if you tag Cupid.
"Unto the hills around do I lift up my longing eyes" - Psalm 121:1
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Try Missouri Mountain. If you're in good shape you can get 6 peaks in a day. Missouri, oxford, belford, emerald, Iowa and pecks.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Mike Kirsch wrote:Hi,I am planning a trip next June to Colorado and plan on being there for a few weeks to climb. I have climbed Massive, Quandary, Sherman and a few lower altitude summits. While there, I would like to knock out as many summits as I can so not looking for overly difficult hikes, trying to stick to mountains that are relatively close together. My ultimate goal would be to tackle 10 summits in 10 days. Any suggestions?
Snowshoe up. Ski down? Gaiters and waterproof boots too.
June can still have much snow. This has been a way above average winter so far.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

WishIWasInTheMts wrote:Honestly, 10 peaks in 10 days is a lot and probably won't be much fun by the end of it. .............. Just enjoy the adventure.
Depends on the OP's goals.

Back in the day 10 years ago when I started I was a total bagger and thoroughly enjoyed climbing just as much as I could in a week's trip, typically only one rest day (two at the most) in a 9 day stretch. I came to climb and that's I wanted to do, not just for a list, but because I wanted to climb for the enjoyment of it! I've known others to be the same way.

The bagging mentality is especially true if: 1) You're new to this and "hooked" on it., 2) You're from out of state and in live in a flatland area, and 3) You've had to wait all winter / spring for next summer's trip. Worked out good for me as I was able climb a lot of peaks, and really enjoyed the climbing, even several days in a row. It would help to do some overnights as then the pack in or pack out would be easier days. Of course now that I am getting older and only have a few left, I've been slowing down the past few years and am not in a rush anymore; plus it helps that I have now moved away from flat-lands.

As others have mentioned, June can have snow. July or August are better that way, but as you must know have the monsoon rains that make early starts prudent.

To the OP, do what you want! But yes, have some back-up plans ready if the weather is bad, you're tired, or just want to do other things. Or just climb everyday if you want. Be safe.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Mike Kirsch wrote:Hi,I am planning a trip next June to Colorado and plan on being there for a few weeks to climb. I have climbed Massive, Quandary, Sherman and a few lower altitude summits. While there, I would like to knock out as many summits as I can so not looking for overly difficult hikes, trying to stick to mountains that are relatively close together. My ultimate goal would be to tackle 10 summits in 10 days. Any suggestions?
You can always add on a 13er or two that might be close by any of the 14ers. For example one LONG day could get you Belford, Oxford, Missouri, Iowa and Emerald peaks.
DavidEStaunton
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by DavidEStaunton »

I am planning on working near Buena Vista for the summer and would like to climb 10,000 vertical feet in one day.
I have already done the Missouri Gulch Death March, (Missouri, Iowa, Emerald, Oxford, Waverly, Belford, and Pecks.)
Would be grateful for any ideas. I like suffering.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

DavidEStaunton wrote:I am planning on working near Buena Vista for the summer and would like to climb 10,000 vertical feet in one day.
I have already done the Missouri Gulch Death March, (Missouri, Iowa, Emerald, Oxford, Waverly, Belford, and Pecks.)
Would be grateful for any ideas. I like suffering.
Start at Shavano TH, do Shav/Tab/Carbonate/Cyclone/Cronin, and if you're still feeling good, tag Antero. Deproach down Browns Creek and take the CO trail back down, going south.

https://justinsimoni.com/2017/05/26/sha ... nin-recon/

https://www.strava.com/activities/1005323931