Planning Our First 14er(s): What do you recommend?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Planning Our First 14er(s): What do you recommend?

Post by Wentzl »

Wigniter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 am
dontbugme wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 amRead this about July and snow

viewtopic.php?p=683425#p683425
Interesting. So if we do Huron, and La Plata/Yale - we just need to bring microspikes and that should suffice?
I have to add my 2 cents here. If you are bringing microspikes and do not have an axe you are making a BIG mistake. Since you ask for opinions about learning to travel on snow.

Learn to use an axe first. Become proficient at self arrest before you ever put on your first crampon or "micro-spike" whatever that is.

There are no "warning signs". Experience and awareness. There is no shortcut.

Let me elaborate. Crampons are not a braking device. They will not stop you once you trip and fall, which you will do when wearing sharp metal points on your feet, presumably for the first time. Once you start sliding you will try to stop by digging your feet into the snow which will flip you over if you are lucky and break your leg if you are not. An Axe is a self arrest device which will save your life. Micro-spikes will allow you to get into a position where you will need an axe.

Got it?

Have fun.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Congratulations to Wigniter and the gang from Oklahoma. All six handily summited Mt. Elbert (Northeast slope) on 1 July. Demonstrating the right way to do your First 14er: they did their research, brought the right equipment, continuously checked the forecasts, made the right choice, and crushed it! Start time was 6:50 am, blessed with perfect weather all day. Proud of you all! \:D/

RhodoRose
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Well done, Okies! Congratulations! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Wigniter
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wigniter »

RhodoRose wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 am Congratulations to Wigniter and the gang from Oklahoma. All six handily summited Mt. Elbert (Northeast slope) on 1 July. Demonstrating the right way to do your First 14er: they did their research, brought the right equipment, continuously checked the forecasts, made the right choice, and crushed it! Start time was 6:50 am, blessed with perfect weather all day. Proud of you all! \:D/

RhodoRose
ALSO - a YUGE round of applause for RhodoRose. We couldn't have done it without her! We basically had to rearrange our entire trip once it became clear that the weather and conditions obliterated our original plans. She was invaluable in helping us secure campsites, plan our gear for the hikes, select summit locations, etc........
We are in her debt for all the amazing help she gave us. I attribute our success largely to her excellent guidance! =D>
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Congratulations, enjoy the memory for as long as possible!!