Barr Trail in May

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chessluvr
Trip Reports (0)

Barr Trail in May

Post by chessluvr »

Folks, I'm thinking of doing Pikes via Barr on May 8 & 9. This will be my first mountain climb. I'm from Toronto - flatland.
The plan is to overnight at Barr Camp while going up on day 1 to acclimatize and overnight on the way down too.

Thoughts on my plan?
What will the condition be like in May given the winter this year? Will I have to deal with slush?

I've been hiking since January regularly including 10 mile weekend hikes as part of the preparation, it's the AMS I'm worried about.

The above is in preparation for an opportunity to join a trek to Stok Kangri in July which is a 6000m summit in the Himalayan range.

I wish to see ihow I fare at 14.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Barr Trail in May

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I'd be curious to see what others would have to say, particularly those in the Co. Springs area.

But in general, in an average year the maximum snow pack up high doesn't peak until about April 10th. Meaning historically the 14ers would be gaining more snow pack for another 2 weeks or so. The chance of avoiding snow for nearly summerish conditions in early May is pretty close to zero.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
zackrobinson2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zackrobinson2 »

chessluvr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:37 pm Folks, I'm thinking of doing Pikes via Barr on May 8 & 9. This will be my first mountain climb. I'm from Toronto - flatland.
The plan is to overnight at Barr Camp while going up on day 1 to acclimatize and overnight on the way down too.

Thoughts on my plan?
What will the condition be like in May given the winter this year? Will I have to deal with slush?

I've been hiking since January regularly including 10 mile weekend hikes as part of the preparation, it's the AMS I'm worried about.

The above is in preparation for an opportunity to join a trek to Stok Kangri in July which is a 6000m summit in the Himalayan range.

I wish to see ihow I fare at 14.

Looking forward to your feedback.
AMS is the same in May as it is in September. You are very, very unlikely to have significant avy concern on Barr trail in May. The question is whether some snow on the trail is a big deal for you. I personally don't really see why so many hikers make a big deal about having some snow on the trail. Winter ascents are one thing due to the potential for serious weather and whiteouts, along with difficulties in route finding. But those concerns are unlikely to be significant on Pikes in May.

Pikes tends to hold less snow than nearly any other 14er, save for a few areas on the north side. If you can bring some traction, you will be fine in terms of moving on the mountain. Whether you will cough up a lung and die or not is a question I can't answer.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I did the Barr trail a few weeks ago, it wasn’t bad. There’s so much traffic on it you’re likely to have a packed trail most of the way. Snowshoes weren’t even needed when I did it, but I’d probably still take them just in case, unless a current conditions report indicates otherwise.

In summer conditions I can do the entire route from bottom to top and back in a little over 8 hours. My time a few weeks ago (first time in winter) was 10:44. If you have issues, it’s not likely to be due to trail conditions.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Snow, snow, snow.
Hope you have the equipment and fortitude.
In a 140% percipitation year like this year the one thing you can count on is snow on the ground until July.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I did Barr Trail last year in May. My biggest piece of advice is to make it enjoyable and stay at the Barr Camp as you are already planning to do.

Fantastic caretakers and makes the trip so much more enjoyable. We stayed two nights.
Last edited by randalmartin on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

From one who use to get AMS 1 out of every 5 climbs, my advice is to yes, carry enough water, food, and electrolytes and hydrate well the day before. Then, when you hike, go at a pace 80% of the pace you are capable of, especially on the first 3 or so miles of switchbacks on Barr. It will matter later. Take pictures, smell the roses, enjoy it. Your plan to stay at Barr Camp those two nights is a wise one.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Agree with all of the above. My additional two cents' worth: start hydrating a week beforehand, not just the day before. I tell my first-timer friends to drink, at a bare minimum, a liter of water every day for 7 days before the hike. Second cent: aspirin can help prevent high altitude symptoms, particularly headaches. As in, pop a couple before you start up the trail. And make sure you have some in your medical pack, in case you develop one later on. Be aware, sometimes high altitude headaches hit on the way down.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
chessluvr
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chessluvr »

Flips wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:17 am From one who use to get AMS 1 out of every 5 climbs, my advice is to yes, carry enough water, food, and electrolytes and hydrate well the day before. Then, when you hike, go at a pace 80% of the pace you are capable of, especially on the first 3 or so miles of switchbacks on Barr. It will matter later. Take pictures, smell the roses, enjoy it. Your plan to stay at Barr Camp those two nights is a wise one.
Thank you for the advise. Makes sense.
chessluvr
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chessluvr »

Thank you for all your responses. Will make sure to pack the right footwear, hydrate as advised, apply 80% effort, smell the roses and think of you all while on the Barr. Thank you for the support.

- Warren
chessluvr
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chessluvr »

Will_E wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:06 pm I did the Barr trail a few weeks ago, it wasn’t bad. There’s so much traffic on it you’re likely to have a packed trail most of the way. Snowshoes weren’t even needed when I did it, but I’d probably still take them just in case, unless a current conditions report indicates otherwise.

In summer conditions I can do the entire route from bottom to top and back in a little over 8 hours. My time a few weeks ago (first time in winter) was 10:44. If you have issues, it’s not likely to be due to trail conditions.
Thank you for that valuable update of the Trail. I've been hiking on the trails here in Toronto in snow with my hiking boots and stabilizers. Will carry the stabilizers as a backup just in case.
Jeeves042
14ers: 55 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeeves042 »

Hello. Wondering if I can ask another Barr TraIl related question on this topic instead of starting a new one. I'd like to do a couloir on Pikes (probably Y or Railroad). I was just wondering when would be the best time this year to do it. Would I be able to do it in the next week or so, or should I keep waiting a few more weeks?