Elbert in July 2019, snow?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GoIrish89
Trip Reports (0)

Elbert in July 2019, snow?

Post by GoIrish89 »

Hi,

Have heard from a buddy in Denver that the Elbert hike could still be icy/snowy in early July pending weather etc. Wanted to get thoughts, the weekend of July 6th/July 7th would you think that the ice/snow would still be an issue?

Thanks in advance!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Elbert in July 2019, snow?

Post by peter303 »

Snow melt is about three weeks behind normal according to Snotel graphs. So read up on June 15 trip reports of typical years. P.S. ignore 2018 reports, which was a severe drought year.

LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Too early to say. Best guess IMO: some ice & snow remaining, but should be doable without flotation. You may still want micro spikes. But that depends upon conditions during the next few weeks - melting versus even possibly some more snow (some predicted for this weekend).
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Maybe.

:mrgreen:
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Peter303 is right on. Keep in mind that the graph he posted was for the statewide average, at 127% normal snowpack. The Arkansas river basin, of which Mt. Elbert overlooks, is higher at 138%. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/st ... tark19.gif This is a great year to be a whitewater kayaker. The Arkansas river is already at 4000 cfs through the Royal Gorge because, in part, the snow melting off of Elbert. And the peak is weeks away. You may want to look into a raft trip in addition to your climbing plans because this is a great water year. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?07094500
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Here is a camera you can monitor. Elbert is that pointy thing on the left side, Massive is the larger closer peak. Massive seems to hold more snow longer into the summer than Elbert, usually. If I was going to guess, I'd say Elbert may have some snow in the trees and maybe a patch or two above treeline, but nothing that would keep you from climbing it.

http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/l ... e_cams.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I posted Snotel for the Colorado River Basin which is nearest to Elbert. That basin had 1/3 more peak water than average. Further north, e.g. Rocky Park, less peak water. Further south in the San Juans, 1/2 more peak water.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

peter303 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm I posted Snotel for the Colorado River Basin which is nearest to Elbert. That basin had 1/3 more peak water than average. Further north, e.g. Rocky Park, less peak water. Further south in the San Juans, 1/2 more peak water.
As Muni Rider mentioned - Elbert is actually in the *Arkansas* watershed. For more detailed estimates of snow, check the individual Snotel sites in the area.

And rest assured, there is still a TON of snow up high in the mountains. :mrgreen:
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I drove from Boulder to Mt. Antero & back this weekend through Leadville. Elbert and Massive are STACKED with snow right now. The entirety of Massive above treeline is white. Elbert has a few bare spots on the NE ridge but is mostly covered in snow. It looks like the snow extends down below treeline a bit as well. The entirety of the Sawatch has snow, though there is less of it the farther south one goes. Prepare for snow above treeline in July.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

jfm3 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm I drove from Boulder to Mt. Antero & back this weekend through Leadville. Elbert and Massive are STACKED with snow right now. The entirety of Massive above treeline is white.
Heck - from the recent photo I saw of the east side of Massive, there is still continuous snow down *below* treeline a ways... crazy, crazy stuff up there this year.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Shoot, there's even snow below below treeline.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Elbert is a gentle mountain so I wouldn't sweat the snow too much. Just take a good pair of boots and some poles.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.