Hiking equipment rentals?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Anb71214
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking equipment rentals?

Post by Anb71214 »

We are planning our very first 14er July 9th with Quandary peak. We've got some things needed, however not being experienced and not wanting to dump tons of money in proper gear for a possible one time thing, are there places near Breckenridge that'll rent things like micros pikes, poles, snow shoes if it snows again.. we've got hydro packs, clothes. Maybe not ideal hiking shoes... but lots of tread on them.

Not to mention where I'm at, all these things are packed away for the summer at local retailers.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiking equipment rentals?

Post by Alpine Guy »

Several years ago I rented some gear at Mountain Outfitters up the hill east of the main drag - no idea if they are still there. I suspect there are several places if you just google and call around.
Roll No Rocks
bosnian2014
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bosnian2014 »

Anb71214 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:55 am We are planning our very first 14er July 9th with Quandary peak. We've got some things needed, however not being experienced and not wanting to dump tons of money in proper gear for a possible one time thing, are there places near Breckenridge that'll rent things like micros pikes, poles, snow shoes if it snows again.. we've got hydro packs, clothes. Maybe not ideal hiking shoes... but lots of tread on them.

Not to mention where I'm at, all these things are packed away for the summer at local retailers.
If you are coming via DIA, and willing to rent in Denver area, great place to rent is Outdoors Geek. it will be on your way to the mountains. traction for boots is $9 for example.
Based on most recent condition reports, tamp forecast in the next 8 days, and the number of people excepted to hike the trail during long holiday weekend, most likely winter gear will not be needed on July 9th. I would make plans to rent but hold off until updated condition reports come in during the week. If are used to having poles, than it makes sense. Otherwise, my advice is save the money for beer.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I'd recommend Feral: https://feralmountainco.com
Anb71214
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Anb71214 »

Thank you. I tried looking some up but was focusing more in Breck, and wasn't finding places. I will certainly hold off and wait for more reports. And hit up one of these places on the way. We will be passing through Denver.