First 14ers - Plan Assessment

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Akswain
14ers: 17 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14ers - Plan Assessment

Post by Akswain »

ZNixon wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 am
Akswain wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm We did Massive overnight via headlamp from the Southwest slopes last year. No issues with route finding.
Did you use GPS at all? I'm thinking of picking up a Garmin Instinct this weekend to aid with the directions, that way I'm not constantly doubting myself. :lol:
We just followed the trail. No GPS.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

mtree wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:16 pm
Trotter wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 pm Ok ignore the "science" and give advice to newbies based on your personal theories. 🤔
Those sneaky scientists who do studies on altitude sickness are probably all liars paid off by denver hotel owners anyways
Fact. One day hanging out at high altitude will not acclimate you to high altitude. Period.
Agreed. But you said there's no difference between 5k and 10k for acclimatization. That's not a fact. At all.
mtree wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:16 pm I'm not into scaring newbies or treating them like toddlers. You won't see me recommending an ice axe in slush on Mt.Sherman...because its an ice axe. No overhyped jibber jabber from me. I just speak the truth. Plain and simple.
Uhhh ok.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Trotter wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 am
Fact. One day hanging out at high altitude will not acclimate you to high altitude. Period.
Agreed. But you said there's no difference between 5k and 10k for acclimatization. That's not a fact. At all.
In your quest to prove yourself correct you failed reading comprehension 101. Therefore I cannot speak to you anymore. Besides, your boss called. He says the car in port 12 wanted an Oreo Peanut Butter shake, not the Oreo chocolate, so could you please run it out to them. Now be a good car-hop and snap to it. No time to be chatty!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 am
Trotter wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 am
In your quest to prove yourself correct you failed reading comprehension 101. Therefore I cannot speak to you anymore. Besides, your boss called. He says the car in port 12 wanted an Oreo Peanut Butter shake, not the Oreo chocolate, so could you please run it out to them. Now be a good car-hop and snap to it. No time to be chatty!
Sigh. And in your quest to make a snappy comeback instead of defending your answer, you showed your character.

You remain wrong on your statement of "Also, you will get virtually zero acclimation over the first 24 hours whether you stay in Denver or camp at 10,000 feet so don't fret."

But feel free to make up more useless posts like that last one.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
ZNixon
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ZNixon »

UPDATE

Success on Elbert! I made it to the top with no issues! Massive will have to wait for next time, sadly, as I woke up far too late on Sunday to even make an attempt! :lol:

Thank you so much to everyone who commented on this post, your information and experience shared was very beneficial! :)
"Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate." -Nietzsche

@ZNixon101
http://zenixon.simplesite.com/