"Cold" Temperatures

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: "Cold" Temperatures

Post by mtree »

dontbugme wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 pm
I'd also add that the poster needs to prepare for at least 1 overnight in the case of and emergency/injury.

There are many things such as an insulating pad and

https://www.amazon.com/L-Survive-Outdoo ... B000WXX0JS
Seriously? C'mon, lets not go overboard. There will be sixteen billion people up there this weekend and peachy weather conditions. This isn't Nepal. Bring a whistle and call it good. Ay ay ay.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

JacerJack wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 am As the Norwegians say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes!"
a woman in gunnison who was 85 years if a day old once told me "there are no cold people, there are only inappropriately dressed people..."
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

nunns wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:58 am Not a direct answer to your question, but there is no such thing (that I have ever heard of) as physiological adaptation to cold.
Have you heard of Wim Hof, aka the Iceman?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

The stuff he does sound pretty hocus pocus, but I am intrigued by his apparent adaptation to cold.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

polar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:35 pm
nunns wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:58 am Not a direct answer to your question, but there is no such thing (that I have ever heard of) as physiological adaptation to cold.

The stuff he does sound pretty hocus pocus, but I am intrigued by his apparent adaptation to cold.
Reached 7200 meters on Everest and did not even ask for a wool sock!
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

polar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Very interesting!!! No I had not heard of him. My first guess was that he has a lot of brown fat, but the techniques sound like they might make a difference also.
Not sure most of us are willing to go that far. I certainly am not. :)

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

dontbugme wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:25 pm
mtree wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:02 pm
dontbugme wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 pm
I'd also add that the poster needs to prepare for at least 1 overnight in the case of and emergency/injury.

There are many things such as an insulating pad and

https://www.amazon.com/L-Survive-Outdoo ... B000WXX0JS
Seriously? C'mon, lets not go overboard. There will be sixteen billion people up there this weekend and peachy weather conditions. This isn't Nepal. Bring a whistle and call it good. Ay ay ay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia
"In moderate hypothermia shivering stops and confusion increases"

I think you have moderate hypothermia.

I may have just saved your life.
Thanks! I'm feeling better already.
Wigniter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wigniter »

I wanted to follow up in an effort to pass along any information for other newbies that might be wondering. I led a group of first-time flatlanders (I'm included in the latter category) up on Sunday. The forecast called for 18-38 degrees with around 10mph wind speed, so not much wind chill expected. We started just after 6:30am, and finished between 2-4pm.

We dressed in layers and made sure to include lip balm and sunscreen for exposed parts. Personally, I wore a base layer (top and bottom), t-shirt, flannel shirt, and synthetic puffy coat. Put on a balaclava and a windproof layer when the wind picked up.

Biggest problem was that some in our group dealt with their hydration lines freezing then not having easy access to water. I just recommend drinking often enough to keep the water moving and warm. Another issue was some in our group was not eating enough.

We all made it. The summit was gorgeous with very little wind. Overall a fantastic day!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Congrats Wigniter!
I was up there on Saturday. Chilly morning and much more wind! Good advice on a cold day. You can also stow your water in a Nalgene or similar bottle inside your pack for cold weather hikes. That's my go-to in the winter. If you think you'll be out there for more than 4-5 hours, add the water "hot" in the morning. It works. You may be drinking warm water at some point, but that's not such a bad thing.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

mtree wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am Congrats Wigniter!
I was up there on Saturday. Chilly morning and much more wind! Good advice on a cold day. You can also stow your water in a Nalgene or similar bottle inside your pack for cold weather hikes. That's my go-to in the winter. If you think you'll be out there for more than 4-5 hours, add the water "hot" in the morning. It works. You may be drinking warm water at some point, but that's not such a bad thing.
That's a good idea Mtree. The few REALLY cold hikes I've been on I bring a jacket which has its breast pockets inside its insulating layer. They're big enough to hold 1L nalgenes. Body heat on the inside and 800 down on the outside keep the water tepid. If people are having problems with water freezing trying moving it closer to the only source of heat out there: a human body!
Wigniter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wigniter »

dontbugme wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:58 pmWhat was the 'former' category?
The former category being first-timer. I am no seasoned vet or anything, but I had climbed a couple 14ers prior to this trip.