Good overnight '14er for a beginner?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andrew85
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Good overnight '14er for a beginner?

Post by andrew85 »

I ended up falling just short, but I think Chicago Basin in a day from Needleton is doable. Put up a TR about it but I was trying to be in Thursday and out Friday and only took a bivy in which I used for a few hours around ~12,700' after finishing the Eoluses. I'm a pretty slow hiker (lol based on how often I get passed) but if I didn't end up getting altitude sickness between Sunlight and Windom which completely killed my pace and caused me to miss the train, I definitely could have made it so I know those fitter than me can pull this off if they wanted to. I might even give it another try in the future.

That said, I definitely wouldn't recommend Chicago Basin as a beginner overnighter. TBH most of the best/necessary overnighters are for the harder peaks, but as far as beginner peaks go I don't think you can beat the Barr Camp experience on Pikes.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is it just me, or is it weird that we're discussing/suggesting doing the Chicago Basin peaks in a day, when the original poster is asking for a nice backpack trip for some beginners, preferably for one to two nights?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Scott P wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 am Is it just me, or is it weird that we're discussing/suggesting doing the Chicago Basin peaks in a day, when the original poster is asking for a nice backpack trip for some beginners, preferably for one to two nights?
That makes it easier to prove yours is bigger whereas an answer to the OP's question does not.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Back in the day, Chicago Basin in a day from Purgatory would be no prob for me. Not sure which day that was, but I'm sure there was a day where I would be up for it.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

16 miles in, climb a 14'er or three, then 16 miles back out? Who wouldn't want to day trip that! Hell I might head out there after work tonight.

To answer the OP, I second the idea of Evans via Echo Lake. Beautiful area, secluded at night but a fair amount of traffic during the day. If anything happens or you just decide to bail there are a ton of options for help. I hear upper Chicago Lake has some nice fishing as well.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

For overnight for easy 14ers i'd second these two:
-Missouri Gulch (for Bel/Ox and Missouri Mtn) and
-Horn Fork Basin (for Harvard and Columbia, if/when the trail to Columbia is finished this summer).
These camps make most sense to me, as both enable two consecutive 14er day hikes (to combine 14ers that would be hard in a single day from the TH, especially on "beginners" routes). Neither of these two hikes will beat the views from Humboldt though.
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Camping above treelike is great if wind protected...just need to be more creative or have a food canister or storing your food if packing.

My favorite place to camp near 14ers does not involve a backpack, and I camped there close to 10 times in order to climb the 3 easy thirteen's (Handies, Redclous, Sunshine) from the campsite as well as innumerable 13ers and 12ers,etc. The Silver/Grizzly Gulch T/Hs site outside of Lake City. All the books have directions to it. Clearance vehicle to get there, but I've seen sedans get there. You can mountain bike and pack from there with it as a base camp if packing is what you want to do.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I think anyone of the following would be nice:
Evan's from one of the Chicago lakes.
Missouri, belford or oxford from Missouri gulch.
Harvard or Columbia.
Handiest, Sunshine or redcloud.
rgsaxman
14ers: 46  3 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rgsaxman »

Little Brown's Creek route on Antero was a nice way to avoid the crowds. Found a great campsite and the next day was easy to summit and then pack up camp. Also depending on weather, Upper SCL and then the West Ridge of Humboldt (views).
diver16
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missouri Gulch water source

Post by diver16 »

Is there a water source at the trailhead for Missouri Mountain?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Missouri Gulch water source

Post by rijaca »

diver16 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:21 pm Is there a water source at the trailhead for Missouri Mountain?
Have you looked a map or route description?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Cruiser wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:30 pm When I did the South Ridge route on San Luis a bunch of years ago I made a mental note to return to the area with my kids for an overnight in or near Boneholder Meadows. If you are interested in something kind of out of the way then do a bit of research on it because I think it would be a magnificent spot for a night or 2.
Where is "Boneholder Meadows"?

I am planning on a three-day trip:
Day 1: Hike in to the area south of Organ/San Luis from Eddiesville TH and set up camp (for both nights)
Day 2: Hike Organ(,possibly BA and Stewart,) and SL
Day 3: Hike out

Just wondering if there are specific good spots/areas that anyone may recommend we camp at?

Thanks!