Good overnight '14er for a beginner?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Good overnight '14er for a beginner?

Post by Ptglhs »

Cereal wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 pm I am planning on a three-day trip:
Day 1: Hike in to the area south of Organ/San Luis from Eddiesville TH and set up camp (for both nights)
Day 2: Hike Organ(,possibly BA and Stewart,) and SL
Day 3: Hike out

Just wondering if there are specific good spots/areas that anyone may recommend we camp at?
That's an ambitious day. I'd suggest camping north of Organ ig you're trying to do all of that in one day. There are camping spots near treeline.
Cereal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cereal »

Ptglhs wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 pm That's an ambitious day. I'd suggest camping north of Organ ig you're trying to do all of that in one day. There are camping spots near treeline.
Thanks for the reply. If you were going simply for the backpacking experience, would you go for north of Organ or south of Organ?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Cereal wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 am Thanks for the reply. If you were going simply for the backpacking experience, would you go for north of Organ or south of Organ?
If you wanted to summit Organ then I'd go up the east side of Organ up Hondo canyon. There's a faint trail, water about 1/3 of the way. The route is mostly class 1 that way. I doubt you'll see anyone the whole time. Summitpost has a route description and I wrote a trip report which includes an acsent of Organ via this route.

It is certainly possible to go up either the standard route of San Luis, or the Continental Divide trail from the Eddiesville and then cut up the southern slopes (route) of Sain Luis. From there you can hike East and do some scrambling to get to the summit of organ mountain and Hike out if you wanted to do it as a loop. The Traverse from Sain Luis to organ is class 3 and you do need a decent knowledge of route finding. There are several trip report to your which detail that traverse.

For a solely a backpacking experience (where peaks weren't your motivation) I'd go up the CDT. It's less travelled, plenty of good camping in multiple spots, and great views of the organ pipes.

Hope this helps.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

chiggiebeeeese wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:46 am I am pretty new to the whole 14er scene, as I have only climbed one. I was wanting to take a trip with some buddies this summer and backpack a 14er, preferably camping one
or two nights. We did Humboldt peak last summer, and while the South Colony lakes are awesome, that hike was a beast because we didnt have a car that could make it up to the 4wd trailhead haha. I was wondering if there are any good peaks with a good camping area (lake, stream, etc nearby for water) that would be good for a few beginners.
Huron

The camping looks awesome past 2wd parking. Not sure if it is easier than Sherman or if I just liked it better or what, but I haven't done many 14ers and I'd do it again.

You could bacpack up to lake Ann (I think that's the right name) looks awesome from the top. also 13er's across the creek, Missouri Oxford, Belford , and La Plata really close, and easier Elbert Sherman etc nearby. I could spend a week there, I think
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.