Peaks Q and L in the Gore Range

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdwyer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Peaks Q and L in the Gore Range

Post by bdwyer »

I attempted these with someone summer before last. He got them and I was 20 ft. from the top of Q but my knees (now replaced by the way and doing well!) could not be depended upon to do it. Two questions: (1) Anyone qualified to and interested in doing these this summer 2020? Most would want a rope for the tops of them, but it is not necessary. (2) Anyone know a shorter, legal or with permission, backpack route that is shorter than the 12 miler we did from the closest T/H near Silverthorne? The backpack to Upper Slate Lake and the bugs up there are worse than the climbing...
Personal message me if interested. I am also on listsofjohn.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Peaks Q and L in the Gore Range

Post by DaveLanders »

Starting from the Brush Creek TH may be a little shorter, and definitely a lot less up and down, to get to Slate Creek. However, it takes 4wd to get to the TH, and even that may not be enough if it has been raining a lot. The 1st hill going up the road gets really slick when wet. In the last few years a legal access to the Gore Range Trail via Harriman Creek has been opened; I don't know if that's any shorter or easier because I think it starts next to CO 9.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

PM sent.
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

Peak Q can be climbed (without ropes) in a long day from the Pitkin TH, if you're interested in that let me know and I can give you more info on the route. I've only done Peak L the long way like you mentioned but I've been meaning to try the Harrigan Creek approach...from what I understand it's legal to park there and makes the approach slightly shorter.
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Harrigan Creek is good to go. You might feel like you are trespassing at first but there is an easement for hikers. There is a shortcut that hikers use but you have to wade Slate Creek so probably mid July or later.
Screenshot (9)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (9)_LI.jpg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

sstratta wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 pm Peak Q can be climbed (without ropes) in a long day from the Pitkin TH, if you're interested in that let me know and I can give you more info on the route. I've only done Peak L the long way like you mentioned but I've been meaning to try the Harrigan Creek approach...from what I understand it's legal to park there and makes the approach slightly shorter.
Thought the west approach culminated at a lower false summit with a treacherous virtually impassable ridge to the true summit? So reports Kramarsic anyway.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

Following. These 2 are peaks that I fantasize about, but I don't feel qualified just yet. Maybe in a couple of years.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Jorts wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:25 pm
sstratta wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:46 pm Peak Q can be climbed (without ropes) in a long day from the Pitkin TH, if you're interested in that let me know and I can give you more info on the route. I've only done Peak L the long way like you mentioned but I've been meaning to try the Harrigan Creek approach...from what I understand it's legal to park there and makes the approach slightly shorter.
Thought the west approach culminated at a lower false summit with a treacherous virtually impassable ridge to the true summit? So reports Kramarsic anyway.
We did Q from P. There is ledge below the impassable notch, but it was sketchy hardpan. Only hardpan I ever found in the Gore!

When I went back to get Peak S from Pitkin a buddy of mine went up Q while me and another friend went up S together. He went a different way that finished on the traditional ridge but I am not sure of the complexities it took to get there for him.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I've heard of the way to Q via the Partners saddle from Pitkin side (from Joe Sauce). Looked pretty hideously long for sure. I'll probably pack in into Slate lake and hit Q, L and Z from there. I'd doubt I'll have energy for unranked Guyselman, but who knows! Good thing I warmed up on Wemi, the Gore approaches just always feel harder for some reason so I've been avoiding them as long as I could. :(
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

SnowAlien wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 pm I'll probably pack in into Slate lake and hit Q, L and Z from there. I'd doubt I'll have energy for unranked Guyselman, but who knows!
Pk Z from Slate? What route do you use? NW slopes/gully to saddle w/Y?
And, Pk N from Slate is doable without doing Guyselman (M).
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

It leads you up to the false summit, yes. And to reach the higher true summit to the NE, you can either rappel down to the notch and climb up to it, or, what we did was go back down the ridge to the SW maybe 50 feet and then wrap around Q's NE side and eventually met up with the "standard" route that comes up from Slate Creek and climbed up and around to the true summit. The advantage to that is you don't have to haul in rappelling stuff. Peak Q's NE side is steep and loose, but no need for a rope. It does hold snow though into the summer so keep that in mind.