Georgian planning a 14er hike

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Georgian planning a 14er hike

Post by CORed »

Rollie Free wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:34 pm Drcroberts.
Unfortunately, while most places in the U.S. are enjoying spring the Rockies are getting their biggest snows. Dont confuse what you normally think of as Spring with what you would run into at that elevation.
My personal 14er season (I'm a flatlander) doesnt start until the latter part of June. There is still snow but its manageable usually without shoes or spikes. But that's just me.

Edit.
You know what? Why not make the effort to take a trip in mid to late July? Itll be sweltering where you're at and you'd find very pleasant temperatures in the higher elevation towns like Breck, Leadville, Salida etc.. Skip trying a fourteener. You'll just become addicted and then where would you be?
Yes. I suspect someone from Georgia might be expecting temperatures in the 60's to 70's and sunshine in April, with some rain as a worst case scenario. Unfortunately, in Colorado, especially on the high peaks, that ain't gonna be so. In the plains, on a good day, you might see that kind of weather; on a bad day you might see rain, thunder and lightning, hail or snow, possibly all in the same day. On a 14er hike, you might see temps in the 40's with sunshine on a good day, or full on blizzard conditions on a bad day, and you can just about guarantee that you will encounter deep snow on at least part of your hike, if not all of it. "Springtime in the Rockies" is often remarkably similar to winter in most other places.