Fort Collins 14er Preparedness

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tadamsttu
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Fort Collins 14er Preparedness

Post by tadamsttu »

Hi all, I moved back to Colorado a year ago and wanted to get on some 14ers last summer but never got the chance (still was working on getting my gf to like hiking :wink: ). What are some great peaks to test out my 14er ability that are near the Fort Collins area before this summer comes around? I have done CCY & Twin Sisters as some peak trails but have also done some longer hikes: Bear Lake to Fern Lake, Sky Pond, & Deer Mountain. I wasn't sure if there some other that I should try that are nearby that would be good test to see if we are ready to go. I know Longs is close but that does not want to be my first experience. I am fairly confident in Class 1 & Class 2 ability but my concern is exposure and how I/we might handle that. Any thoughts/opinions on good trails to test?
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Fort Collins 14er Preparedness

Post by Tornadoman »

It sounds like you are ready for an easy 14er already considering you did CCY. However, a couple 13ers that might be good practice- Audubon, there is a trail nearly to the top. I consider Audubon to be similar to Bierstadt in difficulty. Mt. Lady Washington is what I would call a rugged/rocky class 2, you head on the Longs Peak trail and then go straight up the rocky slope. This would be a good test of how you felt on terrain that was perhaps a little tougher, and it has near 4,000 vertical gain.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Buy this book.
BuyThisBook.PNG
BuyThisBook.PNG (190.54 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

13er Storm Peak next to Longs would be a good option. It has a fun scramble and you can check out the Keyhole while up there.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Since you're in Ft Collins have you hike Mt Greyrock? A nice local workout with some interesting rock and tree features. A fire swept through the area several years ago so there are a lot of burn scars but the natural bonsai (trees growing out of the rocks) on the summit plateau all survived.
Roll No Rocks
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am It sounds like you are ready for an easy 14er already considering you did CCY. However, a couple 13ers that might be good practice- Audubon, there is a trail nearly to the top. I consider Audubon to be similar to Bierstadt in difficulty. Mt. Lady Washington is what I would call a rugged/rocky class 2, you head on the Longs Peak trail and then go straight up the rocky slope. This would be a good test of how you felt on terrain that was perhaps a little tougher, and it has near 4,000 vertical gain.
+1

And if you want a little extra credit, traverse over to Paiute from Audobon, easy unranked 13er
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
tadamsttu
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tadamsttu »

Tornadoman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 am It sounds like you are ready for an easy 14er already considering you did CCY. However, a couple 13ers that might be good practice- Audubon, there is a trail nearly to the top. I consider Audubon to be similar to Bierstadt in difficulty. Mt. Lady Washington is what I would call a rugged/rocky class 2, you head on the Longs Peak trail and then go straight up the rocky slope. This would be a good test of how you felt on terrain that was perhaps a little tougher, and it has near 4,000 vertical gain.
Thank you for you reply. I am definitely looking forward to checking out these two. I believe they probably aren't open right now. 1. Audubon due to snow and 2. Lady Washington due to COVID? I'm itching to get out and start peak climbing :-D
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

lots of deep snow and little traffic to pack it down this time of year on the higher peaks near FoCo. You shouldn't need training for the easy 14ers like Bierstadt.
Lots of easy 13ers west of Denver but also some county closures at the moment. Are you looking to get into class 3 or just altitude conditioning? Lots of good stuff in RMNP, IPW, and around Cameron Pass.

Usual NoCo ones to progress in elevation through late spring :

Signal Mtns (11ers near Glen Haven) - longish steep trail, south facing but tends to hold snow up high into June
Twin Sisters, which you've done (try the south sister rib if you want to get a bit of easy class 3 and taste of exposure)
Hallett Peak - 12700, sees enough people when the park is open to pack down the snow
MLW as mentioned (when park opens, not sure if they closed the TH) : usually dry, was basically snow free above treeline when I did it in early March a
and a packed trail in the trees. It usually holds little snow (last year being an exception) but the summit gets very windy.

this slope will get you into shape, it's relentlessly steep going up the east ridge from Chasm Jct, but no exposure, and harder than all the easy 14ers.
There's no trail up, just tundra and talus hopping, but if you did Ypsilon it's going to be similar, but steeper. Do good on this, a week or so before
your 14er, and the easy 14ers like Bierstadt, Quandary, G/T will feel like a cakewalk. It's 9 miles round trip.

Audubon is a good one too, once the road opens, and there's a trail. I did the road walk in January and it was a slog, and had to do tough trailbreaking,
but if you want to bike the road late May as it melts, as most people do, that will help.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

tadamsttu wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 am
Thank you for you reply. I am definitely looking forward to checking out these two. I believe they probably aren't open right now. 1. Audubon due to snow and 2. Lady Washington due to COVID? I'm itching to get out and start peak climbing :-D
I don't think a mountain is closed because of snow... but if you don't have snowshoes, etc, then Audubon isn't going to be a good bet right now! RMNP is indeed closed, although I have no idea for how long. The views of Longs diamond are superb from the summit of MLW. My suggestions are probably better for early summer if you have winter gear. Good luck!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Meadow and St Vrain is a great conditioning one this time of year. You will encounter lots of snow, but it's pretty low-angle for the most part.

http://www.hikingrmnp.org/2012/05/st-vr ... ntain.html
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:59 am Meadow and St Vrain is a great conditioning one this time of year. You will encounter lots of snow, but it's pretty low-angle for the most part.

http://www.hikingrmnp.org/2012/05/st-vr ... ntain.html
I had a terrible postholing day even with snowshoes a couple Aprils ago, after a "dry" winter. Good choice otherwise though, great views from these.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"