Reassessing myself, is this a good place to begin?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Reassessing myself, is this a good place to begin?

Post by jmanner »

You do it enough, you’ll have scary stupid experiences.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

jmanner wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 pm You do it enough, you’ll have scary stupid experiences.

Most certainly I will. But not because I’m in over my head.
Zurimmiller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zurimmiller »

Hey, what's up, did you finish college?
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

deleted
Last edited by Hiking_TheRockies on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hiking when possible
Alpinefroggy
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Hiking_TheRockies wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am
Alpinefroggy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:23 pm Since I am also living in Boulder, I am also looking at South Arapaho peak, Mt. Audoban and lots of hiking in IPW and RMNP I am looking to do that is not technical.
For the non-technical hikes you are looking for, this is a pretty great selection of peaks that are close to boulder. Google maps says both RMNP and Brainard lake are under an hour drive.
I hike out of Brainard Lake a lot each summer. The selection of peaks you can access is massive and you have great control over what you want. If you are trying to find your current ability hiking in the mountains, I think Brainard is probably a great place to do it. RMNP is not bad either.
If you hike in the Sierra Nevada a lot and did Longs in 2018, you should be fine with most 14ers. They push your ability to handle continuous elevation gain less than your technical ability on 2/3 of the peaks.
Welcome to the 14er club!
?????

How did this thread get resurrected?

I moved here 2 years ago now and gave had 2 summer seasons of hiking and climbing and in the intermediate years I've become a competent rock climber and am working on leading trad these days.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Lmao

It popped up on the recent forum posts because of Zurimmiller's reply. I didn't read the dates because I am lazy
My bad!
Hiking when possible
Cristinaporter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cristinaporter »

I'm amazed that threads so old can revive, lol. Now I am a student, and besides everything else, I like 14ers. Because of this, I don't have enough time to write essays for the university, and I get them from here https://writix.co.uk/essay-examples/media-bias. I am on the marketing faculty, and I welcomed these essays mainly because it's about my specialty. I want to become a TV presenter. Media bias is a significant problem, so thanks to Writix for an excellent clarification.
Last edited by Cristinaporter on Sun May 01, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Alpine Froggy,

It looks like you've done pretty well for yourself! Pyramid Peak was on your 'never going to climb' list 2 years ago, but I see it's completed on your checklist.

Nice work and sorry for contributing to the thread bump. :-D
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Alpinefroggy
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:04 am Alpine Froggy,

It looks like you've done pretty well for yourself! Pyramid Peak was on your 'never going to climb' list 2 years ago, but I see it's completed on your checklist.

Nice work and sorry for contributing to the thread bump. :-D
Yeahhhhh stuff changes. :)

And ironically I had a freaking awesome time on Pyramid.
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Well, of all the zombie threads to revive, this one had a pretty good ending! Glad to see you're having fun out there!
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Awesome to see the progression of skills - that's one of the things the CO mountains do best. Great lesson for future folks moving here / getting started.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:20 am And ironically I had a freaking awesome time on Pyramid.
Pyramid is still my favorite 14er, I plan on doing it again this year. Congrats on how far you have progressed in the 2 years you have been in Colorado.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months