CO Native living in TX: attempting first 14er in July

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Krissyy11
Trip Reports (0)

CO Native living in TX: attempting first 14er in July

Post by Krissyy11 »

First timer here, so no judgment please. I’m originally from CO, but currently living in TX. I make it back every summer & this summer my goal is to climb my first 14er. I have goals to climb a certain amount by the time I’m 35, so I need to get started! 😂 I’ve been training here as much as I can, but obviously elevation will play a huge factor. Planning to give myself a week or so to acclimate before I attempt. Any other tips for this that might help me more?

Also, my husband wants to do it with me eventually, but it probably won’t happen for him this summer as he has some underlying health issues and with COVID etc. he doesn’t want to risk it.

So my question to you all is, is it totally crazy for me to want to do this alone? Thinking Mt. Bierstadt. I know people say it’s crowded on weekends, so definitely want to do a weekday. I know some say never to hike a 14er alone though...I’m thinking I won’t really be alone with other hikers? Lol right?

If I am crazy and I shouldn’t go alone, then is anyone up for hiking with me at the end of July or early August? :-D
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: CO Native living in TX: attempting first 14er in July

Post by Rollie Free »

Dont worry. Bierstadt gets dogged on but it's a great first time experience. Paved all the way, route finding is inconsequential, and you will have company. It starts above treeline and yet can pretty much see the route the whole way. Mostly a path but a minor scramble at the top.
Just keep training and download the information on this site. No need to worry.

Edit: But do check the weather and plan on starting before 6 am for best results.
Last edited by Rollie Free on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Krissy,

Others may disagree, but if you pick a good first timer peak (Bierstadt, Quandary, etc.) you should be fine. It's a trade off: Lots of people there in the summer, so it may be a bit crowded and parking might be a hassle, but the flip side is, as you note, you won't be alone. Hardly. So if you go on a weekend get there pretty darn early to get a decent parking spot. That'll also help you avoid what is probably the biggest risk (which is manageable), getting caught in a thunderstorm up high. Coming from Colorado you probably know that in the summer there are often afternoon thunderstorms in the mountains. Best to get an early start and keep an eye on the weather. If it starts looking stormy, consider turning around, the mountain will be there for another attempt.

Tips? You're already planning to acclimate to the altitude, so I'd say other tips are to keep an eye on your eating (steady) and hydration (often). Arrive in sorta decent shape, have some comfortable hiking shoes and you'll do great. Good luck on your quest!

-Tom
montysep
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montysep »

Bierstatdt is a fine hike. Great idea for your first 14er. If you find it easy then go check out Quandary if you have time remaining.

As it gets closer use the "Climbing Connection" section in the forums here to find a partner. Not quite necessary for either peak but if it gives you and your husband peace of mind that's worth a lot.

The general rule is to be off the summit by noon. Aim for sooner. Keep and eye on the weather and thunderstorms. If necessary & solo, consult other hikers on their view on developing storms.

The mountaineering safety & gear list sections here on the site are very useful. Read those again as a refresher. Follow Leave no Trace guidelines. Bring a sturdy bag to Pack Out your TP. Enjoy
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

All good advice so far. I'll add this - acclimating in the Denver area for a week is admirable, but remember that's 5k and your entire hike will be above 11k. You will most likely do fine but there's a chance you won't. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to turn around.

Having a partner or 3 is nice, but certainly not required. Don't be afraid of going alone (you will not be alone). One of the things I love about the mountains is they tend to turn everyone, even gigantic assholes, into friendly compassionate human beings.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

If you can spend a night or 2 at 8000' before the climb that would be ideal. If not, 5000' is still a lot better than sea level. Either way be sure to exercise in the week leading up to the climb.
Take plenty of food and water, and start early. Don't worry, you won't be alone on Bierstadt on a summer day. The trailhead has the same fell as the start of a road race.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
notifytony
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notifytony »

Hello First Timer in Texas...I did my first 14er a couple weeks ago, Quandary Peak...The peak is very doable going alone as there were many hikers on the trail, however some were turning back due to high winds above the tree line. Being a middle aged man I prepared by doing lots of Cardio and simply working out daily...getting aclimated for a week would not be a bad idea. I'm going back tomorow July 1st and preparing much better...Do not over pack as I did and do take climing sticks, the summit had enough snow to make people turn back. Let me know if you still need a partner when you get here Good luck and be safe.
Tony