Entire Wlson Group in One Day?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ngreenster13
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Entire Wlson Group in One Day?

Post by ngreenster13 »

Hey everyone! Just kinda curious on the feasibility of snagging all three peaks in one day, either starting from Navajo Lake or ROA. Thinking if I were to do it from Navajo, I'd set drive to the trailhead and camp at the lake, next morning start with El Diente, traverse to Mt. Wilson, hop over to Wilson Peak, and head back down to camp at Navajo Lake. Going from ROA, either 1) snag Wilson Peak first then take on Mt. Wilson and go over to El Diente, go down the Navajo Approach and back over to the ROA Mine orrr 2) Take ROA down towards Navajo Lake, go up to El Diente, over to Mt. Wilson, then snag Wilson Peak on my way back to the ROA trailhead.

Any thoughts? Is this feasible or am I just going to get physically and mentally crushed attempting it this way?

All tips, concerns, mocking, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Entire Wlson Group in One Day?

Post by Monte Meals »

Several years ago, we did them comfortably in three days.

Day 1 hike in from Silver Pick Basin to Rock of Ages - weather was good so we climbed Wilson Peak that afternoon.
Day 2 - From Rock of Ages - Mount Wilson - then the ridge to El Diente - and back to Rock of Ages via Navajo Basin
Day 3 - Hike back out Silver Pick Basin.

Very comfortable three day outing.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Think beyond snagging peaks and immersing yourself in their good tidings and all the answers will come to you.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I did it last year from ROA but I move pretty fast. I tagged Wilson first so I wasn’t tempted to bail on the way back. I then went out and back on the traverse. It worked out great for me and I would do it that way again. I have it at 16.5 miles and 7635 ft elevation gain FYI.
Scott Conro
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 126
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scott Conro »

“Climbnow” and the shuttle plan would be my preferred method, to be honest.

Solo, I’ve thought about this a bit and think the first scenario is how I would do it if it wasn’t a time issue but a challenge to complete the line. Camp to camp (Navajo) seems reasonable instead of a TH to TH day. Also, if you allot that time and get stormed off Wilson peak early, you can snag it on the way out the next day.

TH to TH I’d likely do Kilpacker, traverse, Wilson Peak, and a grueling, long slog back down Navajo, but I know I’ve read some reports out there about doing all 3 from ROA so I’d check those before listening to my hypotheticals!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It's possible, but you would need to find a good weather window since it is a long day and there is a good chance of getting stormed off by noon on most summer days.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Generalcuz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Generalcuz »

I think you could trail run this from the Rock of Ages, but it would need to be a super early start. I would get over the pass, tag Wilson and El Diente via the traverse. (Isn't bad) Then, figure out the weather window to tag N Wilson before heading out. Expect to feel pretty beat and also late in the afternoon with getting back to your vehicle. Especially if you have to wait for that window. But doable. You got this!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ngreenster13 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:26 pm Hey everyone! Just kinda curious on the feasibility of snagging all three peaks in one day, either starting from Navajo Lake or ROA. Thinking if I were to do it from Navajo, I'd set drive to the trailhead and camp at the lake, next morning start with El Diente, traverse to Mt. Wilson, hop over to Wilson Peak, and head back down to camp at Navajo Lake. Going from ROA, either 1) snag Wilson Peak first then take on Mt. Wilson and go over to El Diente, go down the Navajo Approach and back over to the ROA Mine orrr 2) Take ROA down towards Navajo Lake, go up to El Diente, over to Mt. Wilson, then snag Wilson Peak on my way back to the ROA trailhead.

Any thoughts? Is this feasible or am I just going to get physically and mentally crushed attempting it this way?

All tips, concerns, mocking, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks!
Thats a very big day, and a tough traverse to boot. Looking at your peak list, its a massive step up from what you've done.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:58 pm This guy had a funny base camp all the way above Navajo basin
Why is it funny to camp in Navajo basin?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
mschneiter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mschneiter »

Did all 3 in a day last year from Kilpacker. It was a long day and it would be much easier from Navajo Lake. We went up El Diente and over to Mt. Wilson and then finished with Wilson Peak. The hardest part was probably going from Mt. Wilson to Wilson Peak as we were doing a lot of route finding there as we were trying to avoid losing elevation. We had perfect weather on a fall day so that helped out a lot in getting it done. Part of the reason we did it in that order was that if the weather did deteriorate we figured we could bail after the traverse and come back and do Wilson Peak from Rock Of Ages relatively easily in a day.