early season snow on 14ers/13ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ncpaul
Trip Reports (0)

early season snow on 14ers/13ers

Post by ncpaul »

Hello:
Pretty new to climbing these peaks. I know my question about early season snow depends a lot on location in the state, mountain range elevation, aspect, etc. But does anybody have some general thoughts on whether the snowfall from the storm this week will be expected to persist above treeline, or in contrast, melt off and give way to dry rock again, before more permanent stuff falls later in the season.
Thanks for any thoughts.
JamesK
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: early season snow on 14ers/13ers

Post by JamesK »

It should mostly melt off by this next weekend.
emgordon_II
14ers: 30 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by emgordon_II »

Depends on how deep it falls and wind speed/duration/direction. I’m seeing CAIC models for Sawatch range upwards of 2 feet. With wind loads, there is potential for 4+ feet in gullies which would almost certainly stick around. Generally, I would guess that slopes below 10k will melt out and ridge lines will be clear of snow within a week while shady NW to E slopes below treeline will stay snowy if more than 6-12 inches accumulate.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

ncpaul wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:50 pm Hello:
Pretty new to climbing these peaks. I know my question about early season snow depends a lot on location in the state, mountain range elevation, aspect, etc. But does anybody have some general thoughts on whether the snowfall from the storm this week will be expected to persist above treeline, or in contrast, melt off and give way to dry rock again, before more permanent stuff falls later in the season.
Thanks for any thoughts.
It’ll just be a muddy mess by Saturday. High is 66 in Fairplay this weekend. Not to mention the ground has been pretty warm for some time.