Advice for 14er in mid-October with kids (4 and 6)

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Advice for 14er in mid-October with kids (4 and 6)

Post by rpdawes »

rpdawes wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:19 pm If you are flatlanders, you will need a few days to get acclimated to the high altitude. According to the snow history in the past decade for Quandary Peak, mid-October snowfall is 50% chance, but the accumulation should less than 6 inches.

Please view the linked website.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive ... &js=1&uc=0
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

rpdawes wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:19 pm If you are flatlanders, you will need a few days to get acclimated to the high altitude. According to the snow history in the past decade for Quandary Peak, mid-October snowfall is 50% chance, but the accumulation should be less than 6 inches.

Please view the last linked website.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive ... &js=1&uc=0
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

First 14er w 4 and 6 year olds in mid-Oct, I'd recommend Capitol. Start them off right. =D>
akmcclain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by akmcclain »

Thank you all so much for your inputs! Hard to get this kind of insider knowledge and first-hand experience on the web, so I am very thankful for this website and for all of you. We are flatlanders (coming from Oklahoma), but can't get enough of the mountains. We honey-mooned in Estes Park, and took the kids their last summer. I've done Ride the Rockies and the Triple Bypass in my college days. I know enough that these mountains are to be revered and respected. A healthy fear if you will. From the sounds of it, we will not be as prepared as I would like to be this time around, and no sense in putting the family through unnecessary danger. Pending weather, we may consider hiking to the treeline of Quandary and back. I'll be checking out the other suggestions y'all provided as well! Thank you again!!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Risky plan, but sounds like you've made a wise decision.

Take the family up Loveland Pass and choose your hike. You'll get the full above-treeline experience, low commitment, and maximum fun. If the weather is nice and you're feeling perky you can hike out towards Cupid or Sniktau. I would NOT recommend Grizzly. That's a much bigger bite more akin to Quandary. If you want to keep it more mellow you can hike off to the west side of the pass until you run out of trail. Less steep, less wind, and even better views. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
S_Devlin
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by S_Devlin »

Quandry is a great first 14er, but as others have said, maybe not in mid October. One never knows, so have a few backup plans for various weather conditions. Have fun!!
"The wonderful things in life are the things you do, not the things you have." - Reinhold Messner