Winter storms

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Winter storms

Post by daway8 »

globreal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:42 pm Having the right gear is essential....not necessarily having the most expensive gear is essential.
Very true - if you can find good stuff cheaper, go for it. But generally speaking, I've been finding that the expensive stuff is expensive for a reason. You can get gear that's far lighter, warmer, more compressible, etc if you're willing/able to pay for it. Doesn't mean that everything expensive is automatically better (watch out for brand name price inflation) but often those pricey clothes have an amazing performance difference.
globreal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:42 pm Learning where and how to look for your forecasting is very important and then deciding to only go out at the right time. Find others who can teach you these researching skills. (I'll help you if you like.)
Based on last winter I still need to fine tune those skills... though I like nyker's suggestion of giving yourself at least a 24-36hr buffer before a storm and limiting your goals even then. Because typically the day or so before a storm blows in... well something has to "blow" it in... so there can be some pretty epic winds even the day before a big storm. Coming down off a mountain as the sun sets on the day before a storm comes in = even worse (ask me how I know...). Winds often pick up around sunset - yes, these other guys commenting have a lot more experience but you can learn a lot from a dummy... I only have a couple seasons of winter 14er bagging under my belt (lots more at lower elevations like RMNP) and while I've been very conservative on route choices I've gotten burned on weather choices, that's why I figured I'd chime in once more to highlight how easy it is to underestimate conditions if you're new to the high country in winter. Moral of the story: give yourself LOTS of buffer room before any incoming storms (and also afterwards due to avy concerns).

(edit - I see Squirrellysquirrel beat me to the punch with some of the wind warnings - it's because of those type of winds that I picked up the high dollar gear that has performed amazingly in those conditions - and also the reason why I'll be likely making more conservative choices in regards to weather this winter...)
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Like others have said, winter storms are very predictable. Just don't go for a big outing if there's something in the forecast. I was 20/20 on getting summits last calender winter. All were on bluebird days and most with very little wind. If you can be flexible there are plenty of nice winter days. It's not like the summer where there is a chance of thunderstorms everyday and they can pop up out of nowhere. You'll see winter storms coming. Look for high pressure weather patterns that stall over Colorado. These can give days of good weather.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I learned the hard way, about footwear in winter. Actually it was ignorance on my part that lead me to believe that my leather boots I used the previous summer would be fine in deep snow with minus 10 temperatures in December.

I was wrong. It took several months for me to get the feeling back in some of my toes.

The next week I invested in the correct type of footwear for such activities.

I agree with the comment on high winds before and after storms. It is one of the best predictors of an incoming storm and I believe it is mainly due to the dramatic changes in barometric pressure prior to, and following storms.

A good balaclava and goggles are winter necessities as far as I am concerned.
Along with a good headlamp and extra batteries.

Imo, the wind is the more unpleasant/ possibly dangerous element of the winter. Cold and snow can be dealt with, but trying to follow a gps track in the dark with high winds could prove to be challenging.
One of the most pleasant things I have had on winter excursions is a cup of hot soup and hot chocolate during a break.

As a complementary source of weather data to noaa, I found this site to be helpful:

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/4337
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

Thanks for all the info guys :-D
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

ltlFish99 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 pm I learned the hard way, about footwear in winter. Actually it was ignorance on my part that lead me to believe that my leather boots I used the previous summer would be fine in deep snow with minus 10 temperatures in December.

I was wrong. It took several months for me to get the feeling back in some of my toes.

The next week I invested in the correct type of footwear for such activities."

What boots did you get?
Rudy can't fail.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I do James peak via st Mary’s glacier every year in winter and after that nothing else ever seems quite that bad for windy conditions
ltlFish99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Plugugly wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:55 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 pm I learned the hard way, about footwear in winter. Actually it was ignorance on my part that lead me to believe that my leather boots I used the previous summer would be fine in deep snow with minus 10 temperatures in December.

The next week I invested in the correct type of footwear for such activities."

What boots did you get?
Initially I got kolflach double boots and they worked well for ice climbing boots. They were the ancient neon green ones, and always made for a good laugh the last couple years at the Ouray ice park.
Last March I finally got some new ones, La sportiva Nepal cubes and they are very comfortable and much lighter.
ltlFish99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:09 pm I do James peak via st Mary’s glacier every year in winter and after that nothing else ever seems quite that bad for windy conditions
I second that comment. That peak is the best for wind, wind, and more wind.
It was also an enjoyable ski descent when I first started skiing peaks.
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:09 pm I do James peak via st Mary’s glacier every year in winter and after that nothing else ever seems quite that bad for windy conditions
I had a Quandary hike in February that set a new baseline for what I consider to be windy. It hasn't felt all that windy since then and I've noticed people commenting on the wind WAY before it crosses my mind. I agree, go on a windy hike early and get a feel for how much it can suck, the rest of your hikes will be great.