Quandary Peak

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jdwilson
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary Peak

Post by Jdwilson »

I'm planning on doing my first winter 14er up to Quandary Peak this week, looking like Thursday. I will be getting microspikes and snowshoes and have all of the essential cold weather clothing. I have been here for the past week and a half snowboarding and doing some hikes in the Rockies to acclimate(as I am from the east coast). Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare?

Also, I wouldn't mind going up with anyone else if they would be interested.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Quandary Peak

Post by pvnisher »

There's many of these posts every year, and mainly it comes down to stay warm but not too warm, stay dry, carry enough but not too much, don't let your water freeze, don't get lost, it gets dark earlier than you think, don't be afraid to turn around for any reason, and the weather will have the final say on whether you summit or not.

With good weather, fitness, and adequate gear, it's fun and not very challenging.

With wind, fresh snow, or ice, a later start, frozen water, a glove that gets blown away, batteries that die in the cold, and insufficient fitness, it can be pretty freaking terrible.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

It won't be winter this Thursday. You'll have to wait til next Monday.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Jdwilson wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:21 am I'm planning on doing my first winter 14er up to Quandary Peak this week, looking like Thursday. I will be getting microspikes and snowshoes and have all of the essential cold weather clothing. I have been here for the past week and a half snowboarding and doing some hikes in the Rockies to acclimate(as I am from the east coast). Is there anything else I should be doing to prepare?

Also, I wouldn't mind going up with anyone else if they would be interested.
Can't officially count it as a winter summit until dec 21. Official start date of winter
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:45 am It won't be winter this Thursday. You'll have to wait til next Monday.
What an exclusionary, heliocentric perspective. I follow the Thai model of there only being three seasons.
Hot – from March to May, Rainy season from June to October, and Dry from Nov to Feb.

I find the lack of markers to put next to my summits offensive and the "snowflakes" that signify an ascent during a season I don't recognize are hurtful and a symbol of the equinoxarchy.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:01 pm What an exclusionary, heliocentric perspective. I follow the Thai model of there only being three seasons.
Hot – from March to May, Rainy season from June to October, and Dry from Nov to Feb.

I find the lack of markers to put next to my summits offensive and the "snowflakes" that signify an ascent during a season I don't recognize are hurtful and a symbol of the equinoxarchy.
Oklahoma Department of Transportation really doesn't do much to plow their state highways in the Panhandle, even when they get a good six inches of snow.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:47 pm
pvnisher wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:01 pm What an exclusionary, heliocentric perspective. I follow the Thai model of there only being three seasons.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation really doesn't do much to plow their state highways in the Panhandle, even when they get a good six inches of snow.
it's not Denver, Dorothy. :)