Sarcastic Tips for Newbies

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sarcastic Tips for Newbies

Post by Rollie Free »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:57 am Be sure to claim that you're the "first".
I read on here not to long ago a guy reporting he thinks his climb to the top of an obscure mountain was a first.
They said they saw no signs anyone had been there. I cant imagine there being any signs lasting anymore than a few days. To claim it to be a first is mere fantasy.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:45 pm If you're female, drive a green Subaru.
=D> :lol:
And call a 'medic' as quickly as you can!
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

be rescued from Belford.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

If you do end up lost and needing rescue, be sure to post multiple times daily to make fun of anyone stupid enough to admit a mistake on a hike.
No one will admit it here on the forum, but if you hit golf balls off the summit with a 1 wood, you'll have earned the respect of the most seasoned mountaineers.
Drive a Jeep Liberty. No one will call you a pole smoker.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Don't even think about attempting a Class 3 route unless you can climb a 5.15 unroped in the gym!

Not to say you shouldn't climb peaks in the winter, but you need to read that Jack London story, "To Build a Fire," and take its lessons to heart. Colorado peaks are SO cold and snowy and remote that if you're not prepared to deal with the potential consequences of an Alaskan winter, you're clearly not ready for a winter fourteener!!!!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Reminds me of one of my friends, a mild mannered Midwestern fellow, who was on his way up some peak in the Sierra, and encountered an out-of-breath hiker.

Hiker: Do you know where the halfway point is?

Friend: The summit.
IG: jc_solitude
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Alpinefroggy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:21 pm Always bring a double rack of trad climbing gear, runners for at least 20 rappels and as long a rope as you can carry.

Never know when you're going to need to protect a class 3 outcropping of rocks thats blocking your class 2 trail.
And do not ever forget the #4 camalots and several ice screws for protecting the hourglass after any unexpected freeze of the constant stream of water than runs down it.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

ltlFish99 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:31 pm
Alpinefroggy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:21 pm Always bring a double rack of trad climbing gear, runners for at least 20 rappels and as long a rope as you can carry.

Never know when you're going to need to protect a class 3 outcropping of rocks thats blocking your class 2 trail.
And do not ever forget the #4 camalots and several ice screws for protecting the hourglass after any unexpected freeze of the constant stream of water than runs down it.

I agree,

I think you need that on the way up but I think bringing your kayak into the gully is also prudent. You can white water kayak down that stream. Avoids the bad ropes and the bad potential anchor at the top of the hourglass.

Also does it quick so you avoid the rockfall.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm Don't even think about attempting a Class 3 route unless you can climb a 5.15 unroped in the gym!

Not to say you shouldn't climb peaks in the winter, but you need to read that Jack London story, "To Build a Fire," and take its lessons to heart. Colorado peaks are SO cold and snowy and remote that if you're not prepared to deal with the potential consequences of an Alaskan winter, you're clearly not ready for a winter fourteener!!!!
That’s not good enough training. You need to be able to do a 5.15 with two pinky fingers. Otherwise you’re not strong enough for quandary.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

You mean "Mount Quandary Peak"
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Never mention particular gully north of Castle on the forum, it brings bad luck.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Don't pick up after your dog because other dogs eat their poop and it saves those other dogs' caregivers money. By the same logic, never dig a cat-hole for your poop. If you do bag your dog's poop, make sure to leave it in the middle of the trail or tied to a willow branch so you don't forget to pick it up on the way out. (Pro tip: someone else will probably take it for you!!!)

Bring your cat! It will be unique and ironic and the cat will LOVE it.

Also, pick the flowers and punt the marmots.