Get off my talus!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do threads having nothing to do with mountains and/or outdoor activity add to the .COM experience?

1) YES! The obsessive nature of most of us on this site is balanced somewhat as a result of being forced to think about something other than walking up hills a long time.
16%
2) Yes. I don't care about Mormons but am looking for a retirement home I can afford.
3%
3) Yes; I never climb mountains and only come here for the occasional drama, OR I finished the 14ers years ago and me and the old fogies like me hate facebook but still want to yell from our porch at trespassers.
7%
4) Yes. I like how worldly I feel when I learn about all the things to do outside away from my mom's basement and my puter.
6%
5) NO! I am very narrow-minded and self-centered and don't want any gibberish about cosmetology school being a good career path getting in the way of talking over the difference between C2 and C2+ routes.
7%
6) No. I want to only talk about those things related to mountaineering that 98.9% of the people on this site don't want to learn.
9%
7) No. I need to know whether a prussik, double granny prussik, or fireman's square knot is the best knot to anchor a 3 person belay so that I'm ready to rock the crags next month.
1%
8) No way; most of the assholes posting these stupid threads are from out of state and they should piss in their own well, not ours.
9%
9) Meh.
29%
10) Bill should take this thread down quickly, before we can DISCUSS!
12%

Total votes: 68
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Get off my talus!

Post by highpilgrim »

There seems to be a building pattern of threads being posted having nothing to do about anything related to climbing ANY mountains, or for that matter anything even to do with mountains. I find this...intriguing and puzzling. There are so many other places to talk about the merits of one kind of education, whether Pooghkipsie is a good retirement destination or if Mormonism is a real religion or really just about collecting magic plates and sexy underwear.

DISCUSS NOW DAMMIT!
Last edited by highpilgrim on Mon May 10, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Get off my talus!

Post by douglas »

Wow. Not a lot of great options there. Not sure where the Mormon comment comes from, but pretty random and out of left field.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

douglas wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:17 am Wow. Not a lot of great options there.
Meh would have been a good choice for you, Doc.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Here's where the Mormon comment probably came from:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 04#p742104

I just come here to discuss music, I'd do it on IG or Facebook, but then a bunch of random people I haven't talked to in 20 years would think I'm a loser for posting so much.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

12ersRule wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 am Here's where the Mormon comment probably came from:

https://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 04#p742104

I just come here to discuss music, I'd do it on IG or Facebook, but then a bunch of random people I haven't talked to in 20 years would think I'm a loser for posting so much.
Ha! - got it. I never made it that far on that thread.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

why only 1 option?--we could do ranked voting and make it really complex--i so wanted #8 too! is the title of this thread a reference to alec's antepenultimate post? asking for a friend.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I enjoy arguing.
Make wilderness less accessible.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 am There seems to be a building pattern of threads being posted having nothing to do about anything related to climbing ANY mountains, or for that matter anything even to do with mountains. I find this...intriguing and puzzling.
that's funny coming from the bro who doesn't always only post about the mountains. puzzling, indeed. lol
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

shelly+ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am puzzling, indeed. lol
I voted for number 8. :mrgreen:
Dave B wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am I enjoy arguing.
Connect with the the Fitta. He'll hook you right up.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:38 am
shelly+ wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am puzzling, indeed. lol
I voted for number 8. :mrgreen:
Connect with the the Fitta. He'll hook you right up.
Dave B didn't seem to enjoy arguing we me so much. lol
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

And Virtue Signaling.

Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

If only there were another online platform for people to discuss inane topics unrelated to mountains. If someone were to create that, I bet they could make a fortune.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85