ADVICE FOR NEW 14ER -

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW 14ER -

Post by Kiefer »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am
cedica wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 pm
rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Delaware Hotel seems to be a quaint lodging?
I haven't been to The Stanley (I'm too cheap for that) but Delaware is supposed to be haunted too. And it looks like interior decorator was on some heavy psychedelics.
The Stanley is not haunted. Never was. Its just a marketing ploy since the popularity of The Shining. Which...by the way... the Stanley Hotel is NOT featured. The hotel in the movie was some place in Oregon or somewhere in the northwest US. The Stanley was a place Peter King stayed at and supposedly drew inspiration from to write the book. Since the popularity of "haunted" venues exploded a few decades ago, everywhere seems to be haunted these days. Such a crock. But... people buy into anything.
Sorry mtree, but regarding the Stanley not being haunted, you are absolutely wrong. I worked there for almost 2 years. I worked historical day tours, did night 'ghost' tours, worked overnight paranormal investigations and night audit at the Front Desk. The Stanley is 100% haunted. With what I've seen and experienced there, with other people and by myself, I've experienced entirely too much to say otherwise.
Regarding the 'The Shining' connection, this you're right about. The douchebag owner (John Cullen), plays this up as does the Tour Dept. It's great PR and brings money to the hotel every year from people curious about it. I can tell you the whole story, including bits they don't tell you on tours (for fear of negative PR) backwards in my sleep. It's a bit pathetic IMO.

And the stories I have of spooky happenings (including personal stuff) are so numerous, I have thought about writing a book on the place (including the history of course). I stayed for 6 months in their employee housing which actually predates the hotel itself. There's things that happen frequently and things that happen VERY infrequently. It's the infrequent things that convince me.
I've ghost hunted for years. And one of the things that has happened, is that I require a much higher burden of proof to say something is or isn't. But it is an old, wooden hotel, it creaks, makes noises and still settles. And there's sadly, a lot of stuff the tour guides tell people that is absolute 100% garbage. More often than not, you probably won't experience anything. You know the adage, 'Right place, right time.'
Oh, and one of the things they like to say, is that no one has ever died there...that's bullsh*t. The building is over 100 years old, of course people have died there. Including a man who committed suicide in #416 back in 2016 I believe (if memory serves).
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am The Stanley is not haunted. Never was. Its just a marketing ploy since the popularity of The Shining. Which...by the way... the Stanley Hotel is NOT featured. The hotel in the movie was some place in Oregon or somewhere in the northwest US.
Nope, that hotel on Mt. Hood was used just for exteriors. Stanley Kubrick actually built the set for all interior shots... AND topology of the set was actually very curious:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ining_1980

It's all part of the ploy to fake landing on the Moon and hide Flat Earth and deliver chips in the vaccines.
Last edited by cedica on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Kiefer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 am Sorry mtree, but regarding the Stanley not being haunted, you are absolutely wrong. I worked there for almost 2 years. I worked historical day tours, did night 'ghost' tours, worked overnight paranormal investigations and night audit at the Front Desk. The Stanley is 100% haunted. With what I've seen and experienced there, with other people and by myself, I've experienced entirely too much to say otherwise.
Regarding the 'The Shining' connection, this you're right about. The douchebag owner (John Cullen), plays this up as does the Tour Dept. It's great PR and brings money to the hotel every year from people curious about it. I can tell you the whole story, including bits they don't tell you on tours (for fear of negative PR) backwards in my sleep. It's a bit pathetic IMO.

And the stories I have of spooky happenings (including personal stuff) are so numerous, I have thought about writing a book on the place (including the history of course). I stayed for 6 months in their employee housing which actually predates the hotel itself. There's things that happen frequently and things that happen VERY infrequently. It's the infrequent things that convince me.
I've ghost hunted for years. And one of the things that has happened, is that I require a much higher burden of proof to say something is or isn't. But it is an old, wooden hotel, it creaks, makes noises and still settles. And there's sadly, a lot of stuff the tour guides tell people that is absolute 100% garbage. More often than not, you probably won't experience anything. You know the adage, 'Right place, right time.'
Oh, and one of the things they like to say, is that no one has ever died there...that's bullsh*t. The building is over 100 years old, of course people have died there. Including a man who committed suicide in #416 back in 2016 I believe (if memory serves).
i will read your book kiefer! i got some hard heebs on my last visit to the stanley- especially next to the right side fireplace in the lobby. it made me almost as dizzy and disoriented as being on the third floor of the grant humphreys mansion- there's a reason that floor is off limits. i legitimately thought i was going to pass out and fall down the stairs when i was coordinating a wedding there several years back. :wft:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Kiefer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 am
I haven't been to The Stanley (I'm too cheap for that) but Delaware is supposed to be haunted too. And it looks like interior decorator was on some heavy psychedelics.
The Stanley is not haunted. Never was. Its just a marketing ploy since the popularity of The Shining. Which...by the way... the Stanley Hotel is NOT featured. The hotel in the movie was some place in Oregon or somewhere in the northwest US. The Stanley was a place Peter King stayed at and supposedly drew inspiration from to write the book. Since the popularity of "haunted" venues exploded a few decades ago, everywhere seems to be haunted these days. Such a crock. But... people buy into anything.
Sorry mtree, but regarding the Stanley not being haunted, you are absolutely wrong. I worked there for almost 2 years. I worked historical day tours, did night 'ghost' tours, worked overnight paranormal investigations and night audit at the Front Desk. The Stanley is 100% haunted. With what I've seen and experienced there, with other people and by myself, I've experienced entirely too much to say otherwise.

Sorry you drank all that Kool Aid. No its not. Never was and still isn't. You can find facts to support just about any pre-conceived conclusion, but they won't hold up to actual scientific research.

Believe what you want. Go write that book. Bet it will sell. Hope you get rich from it. I know far more about that hotel than I care to write about on the topic. And my first hand info predates yours. Its a total crock. But, hey, if it works for them that's all that matters. Its a goofy old hotel. And the bar is great!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 pm
Kiefer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 am

Sorry you drank all that Kool Aid. No its not. Never was and still isn't. You can find facts to support just about any pre-conceived conclusion, but they won't hold up to actual scientific research.

Believe what you want. Go write that book. Bet it will sell. Hope you get rich from it. I know far more about that hotel than I care to write about on the topic. And my first hand info predates yours. Its a total crock. But, hey, if it works for them that's all that matters. Its a goofy old hotel. And the bar is great!
:lol: Ok. Whatever. :lol:
Love to hear about your "first-hand" info. So I'm assuming you know: Clay? Donnie? Rick? Callea?
Have you also talked to Grant in private or John E.L. Tenney?
Didn't think so.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Kiefer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:51 pm :lol: Ok. Whatever. :lol:
Love to hear about your "first-hand" info. So I'm assuming you know: Clay? Donnie? Rick? Callea?
Have you also talked to Grant in private or John E.L. Tenney?
Didn't think so.
Ghost stories. It doesn't matter. Believe what you want.
You don't know what you don't know. And that's ok.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mtree wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm Ghost stories. It doesn't matter. Believe what you want.
You don't know what you don't know. And that's ok.
Rumsfeld.jpg
Rumsfeld.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Delaware Hotel seems to be a quaint lodging?
not sure which book Peter King wrote about the Stanley (i'm guessing might have had something to do with the Denver Broncos?), but STEPHEN King definitely claims to have had a haunted encounter there that inspired the Shining. i don't put much stock in a Stephen King ghost story claim (one he's never gone into real detail about). we stayed at the Stanley on our CO trip a few years ago, stayed in room 401 which is supposedly one of the most active rooms. didn't experience anything ghostly, but that room was right next to the elevators so we did hear some "bumps in the night."

The Stanley has a more legit connection to The Shining (the book) than the Timberline Lodge in OR, which was used in the film for exterior shots but that's it. in any case, The Stanley WAS featured in Dumb & Dumber, which is a better movie anyway.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Wondering what the OP thinks of the direction of his thread. He asks about peaks and lodging and gets a pissin match about ghosts. And you guys make jokes about Florida Men.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

DeTour wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:13 pm Wondering what the OP thinks of the direction of his thread. He asks about peaks and lodging and gets a pissin match about ghosts. And you guys make jokes about Florida Men.
Yes, that’s the beauty of this forum.
Be the best you that you can be.
rtayon
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rtayon »

Great! Based upon the exchange above, my take away advice is to stay in Florida and do not visit The Stanley. Sad.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:29 am Hello, as a newbie and coming from South Florida, I would like advice on hiking some 14ers. My intent is to have a centralized lodging(s) which enables me to hike #3-5 14ers over the course of a long 4-6 day weekend. What city(s) and what nearby 14ers do you recommend? I will be flying into Denver and would like to stay within a 2 hour drive from Denver if possible.

For example, find lodging in Keystone and hike Grays and Torreys, Quandary

You advice and expertise is appreciated!

Cheers!

Steve
954-980-3647

Agree with Tom, sleep one night in Denver if possible to help start to acclimatize. Stay in either Buena Vista, Salida, Dillon and possibly Leadville (but that's 10k in elevation, your body might revolt a little unless you're accustomed to staying at elevation).
Staying in BV, LV or Salida, you can spend the whole week in the Sawatch with 60min or less to trailheads; If you are in Dillon, you can get G+T, Quandary and maybe Elbert/Massive/La Plata for a little more driving.