ADVICE FOR NEW 14ER -

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rtayon
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

ADVICE FOR NEW 14ER -

Post by rtayon »

Hello, as a newbie and coming from South Florida, I would like advice on hiking some 14ers. My intent is to have a centralized lodging(s) which enables me to hike #3-5 14ers over the course of a long 4-6 day weekend. What city(s) and what nearby 14ers do you recommend? I will be flying into Denver and would like to stay within a 2 hour drive from Denver if possible.

For example, find lodging in Keystone and hike Grays and Torreys, Quandary

You advice and expertise is appreciated!

Cheers!

Steve
954-980-3647
MountainHawk
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ADVICE FOR NEW 14ER -

Post by MountainHawk »

Hello!

A good centralized location for lodging would be the breckenridge, Frisco, and silver Thorne area (breckenridge is the most expensive of the bunch) all around 1 1/2-2 hours outside of Denver. That would put you in the middle of quite a few 14ers that are considered the introductory 14ers, I’ll list them out below:

Quandary Peak (class 1)
Mt evans (class 1)
Grays (class 1)
Mt bierstadt (class 2)
Torreys (class 2)
Decalibron (democrat Lincoln Cameron bross) (class2)
(While not physically the hardest of the group, Decalibron is likely the hardest Bc you spend almost all you’re time above 13,000 ft)

The Decalibron can all be hiked in one long day, grays and torreys are accessed from the same route. Be aware though that you’re going to want to acclimate and hike some warmup trails before attempting any of the 14ers. Even the introductory ones can be dangerous if not properly prepared for.

& Lastly my recommendation is to always check mountain forecast starting every day for about a week before you’re trip to make sure the weather is in your favor & go ahead and screenshot your route description & pictures of the routes on 14ers so you have a “map” in a sense before you’re hike

I apologize for the long post, I had a lot of these questions as well when I first started so just want to give you all the info I can!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I'd recommend Georgetown as a good base for Evans/Bierstadt plus Grays/Torreys. Relatively cheap but decent rooms available at Americas Best Value Inn Georgetown.

Beware the altitude if you've not been up here before - some people it hits harder than others. Stay well hydrated to help avoid headaches. Watch out for the frequent afternoon thunderstorms.

If you still have time/energy after these 4 peaks (a lot for a newbie from Florida) then Quandary isn't too far away. All 5 of those are relatively easy peaks.

If you're coming soon be aware there is still plenty of snow on the trails. Microspikes and gaiters are a good idea as well as layers for warmth up high
rtayon
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rtayon »

Thank you for the advice! Upon reviewing information over the last couple of days, it seems that the city of Leadville might be a good base to use for a bunch of the doable 14ers for a newbie.

Delaware Hotel seems to be a quaint lodging?

Thoughts?

Your advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

Steve
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Thank you for the advice! Upon reviewing information over the last couple of days, it seems that the city of Leadville might be a good base to use for a bunch of the doable 14ers for a newbie.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Steve

Leadville is a great place for a base camp. Just be aware you will be trying to sleep at 10,200 ft above sea level. If you have not been to this elevation before, you might not get any sleep and feel pretty terrible.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Thank you for the advice! Upon reviewing information over the last couple of days, it seems that the city of Leadville might be a good base to use for a bunch of the doable 14ers for a newbie.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Steve
Leadville is a great base for the Sawatch or for the Iowa Gulch approach to Sherman.

But it's the wrong side of the mountain if you're interested in Quandary and the Decalibron. Fairplay would be better if you go after those, unless you don't mind the extra drive.

All depends on what peaks you're going after and how much you want to drive.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Note the minimal-snow season is from July 1 to about August 20. You still have melting drifts in June. And early snow dustings and ground ice at the end of August.

There is a huge temperature change climbing a 14er. The wind chill on the summit in the summer can be in the 30s and hiking out in the afternoon sun in the 80s. Layers, hat, light gloves, jacket.

The rental car prices at Denver airport are outrageous this summer, due to high demand and shortage of vehicles.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Stay at least a night in Denver before heading up. Coming from Florida and then going up to possibly sleep at 10K' on the same day could be a recipe for an awful trip. Maybe, maybe not.

-Tom
Last edited by TomPierce on Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:03 am The rental car prices at Denver airport are outrageous this summer, due to high demand and shortage of vehicles.
Rental car prices are craaaazy everywhere. I had to abort a trip to Alaska this summer coz they simply don't have rental cars. Friend of mine rented a UHaul van this past holiday. Homedepot also rents out trucks. Another option is to check out Turo.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:39 am
peter303 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:03 am The rental car prices at Denver airport are outrageous this summer, due to high demand and shortage of vehicles.
Rental car prices are craaaazy everywhere. I had to abort a trip to Alaska this summer coz they simply don't have rental cars. Friend of mine rented a UHaul van this past holiday. Homedepot also rents out trucks. Another option is to check out Turo.
I’m doing some hiking around Death Valley next week. Rentals in Vegas are pretty expensive, but many cars on Turo are half the price!
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Delaware Hotel seems to be a quaint lodging?
I haven't been to The Stanley (I'm too cheap for that) but Delaware is supposed to be haunted too. And it looks like interior decorator was on some heavy psychedelics.
fancy.jpg
fancy.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

cedica wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 pm
rtayon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:40 am Delaware Hotel seems to be a quaint lodging?
I haven't been to The Stanley (I'm too cheap for that) but Delaware is supposed to be haunted too. And it looks like interior decorator was on some heavy psychedelics.
The Stanley is not haunted. Never was. Its just a marketing ploy since the popularity of The Shining. Which...by the way... the Stanley Hotel is NOT featured. The hotel in the movie was some place in Oregon or somewhere in the northwest US. The Stanley was a place Peter King stayed at and supposedly drew inspiration from to write the book. Since the popularity of "haunted" venues exploded a few decades ago, everywhere seems to be haunted these days. Such a crock. But... people buy into anything.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.