Grays and Torreys 6/11

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Thamilton1233
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Grays and Torreys 6/11

Post by Thamilton1233 »

Yearly 14er trip, coming from Texas. This’ll be my 8th and 9th 14er, but it’ll be my first in snow.

Reading every day about the changing conditions and even today with the news about a rockslide/avalanche on Torrey’s dead dog.

We’ll be hiking the standard route for Grays and then possibly going on to hit Torreys too.

My question is are there concerns on this standard route for such rockslides and avalanches like the dead dog route just experienced?? Also, any helpful tips to get past any deep post-hole spots if there are any?
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Grays and Torreys 6/11

Post by Ptglhs »

1. Wet slides can happen but they're unlikely this time of year on the standard route; not enough snow and pretty gentle angles. They can come from the slopes of Kelso, but that requires enough snow up there to slide.

2. To avoid postholing: use snow shoes and start early. Honestly, in the middle of June just go for it. Snowshoes aren't useful enough to outweigh -pun intended- the hassle of carrying them. Stick to the trail which should be reasonably packed.

Unsolicited but if you're on Grays go for Torreys as well. Much less effort than to go back for it later.
Thamilton1233
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Thamilton1233 »

Thanks! This was extremely helpful!
harrisj1122
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by harrisj1122 »

Hi, following this thread. We're coming in for a yearly 14er as well on the same day and we're checking into conditions as well. We were thinking to start on 6/10 and camp a little ways up and finish up on 6/11. Maybe we'll see ya.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

harrisj1122 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:37 am Hi, following this thread. We're coming in for a yearly 14er as well on the same day and we're checking into conditions as well. We were thinking to start on 6/10 and camp a little ways up and finish up on 6/11. Maybe we'll see ya.
You don't need to camp partway up for Grays and Torreys, the route is very short and doable in 5 to 7hrs. Just camp at the 4wd trailhead overnight and get a nice early start.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

Thamilton1233 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 pm Yearly 14er trip, coming from Texas. This’ll be my 8th and 9th 14er, but it’ll be my first in snow.

Reading every day about the changing conditions and even today with the news about a rockslide/avalanche on Torrey’s dead dog.

We’ll be hiking the standard route for Grays and then possibly going on to hit Torreys too.

My question is are there concerns on this standard route for such rockslides and avalanches like the dead dog route just experienced?? Also, any helpful tips to get past any deep post-hole spots if there are any?
Snow should not be too much of an issue, yes, there will be snow, but on the main route up both mountains the pitch does not even approach the pitch of dead dog, so rockslides and wetslides/avalanches (While a remote possibility, so be prepared for them) they are not likely. For the postholing, start early and wear snowshoes.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I was up there today. You won't need snowshoes. Maybe microspikes for a couple spots.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Thamilton1233
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Thamilton1233 »

harrisj1122 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:37 am Hi, following this thread. We're coming in for a yearly 14er as well on the same day and we're checking into conditions as well. We were thinking to start on 6/10 and camp a little ways up and finish up on 6/11. Maybe we'll see ya.
Nice! We’ll be camping near the trailhead. Plan to get out on the trail about 5:30-6 am. It’s gonna take us Texas boys a little longer with the altitude haha.
Thamilton1233
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Thamilton1233 »

14er101 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am
Thamilton1233 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 pm Yearly 14er trip, coming from Texas. This’ll be my 8th and 9th 14er, but it’ll be my first in snow.

Snow should not be too much of an issue, yes, there will be snow, but on the main route up both mountains the pitch does not even approach the pitch of dead dog, so rockslides and wetslides/avalanches (While a remote possibility, so be prepared for them) they are not likely. For the postholing, start early and wear snowshoes.
Thanks for the feedback!
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Trotter wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:49 pm I was up there today. You won't need snowshoes. Maybe microspikes for a couple spots.
How did Kelso Ridge look?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

It's fine. Snow at the last pitch above the white ridge. You could use an ice axe if you'd like, but it's most likely bootpacked out still.