Looking for a guide to hike Grays & Torreys

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sbolneni
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for a guide to hike Grays & Torreys

Post by sbolneni »

Hi - I am looking for any private guides who can help guide the hiking for Grays and Torreys June end/July 1st week.
Any information that can be shared is helpful (including fees etc)
Thanks
SionaRW35
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 228 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for a guide to hike Grays & Torreys

Post by SionaRW35 »

i’ll take you up there for $5k per person
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Go on a Saturday when there are 200 people all trying to hike it at the same time. Hard to get lost.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

You really don't need a guide for G/T, but since you asked:

https://coloradowildernessridesandguide ... ak-ascent/

https://www.coloradoadventureguides.com ... oggle-id-2

I'll be busy that week, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks here (and/or on facebook) who would help you get up for a lot less than what a guide costs. I suppose it all depends on your group size, limitations, experience...etc. Hope this helps!
sbolneni
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sbolneni »

Thank you all for the response.
I looked at the Colorado adventure and Colorado wilderness and found to be too expensive for a single person.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Just go do it. Start early, follow the easy to follow trail, no guide needed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

Seriously?
You don't need a guide. If you have any questions you can always ask one of the other 1,000 people on the trail at the exact same time. My honest advice, avoid G&T in the summer at ALL COSTS.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

The path to the summit/s is all but paved. The 14ers app shows you pictures that hold your hand every step of the way. There will be literally hundreds of other people on the same trail, going to the same place. If you can't find your way in those conditions, there's little more that a guide could do aside from physically carry you. This is like asking for a guide to take you around a city park.
sbolneni
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sbolneni »

Why avoid G/T in summer?
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

sbolneni wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm Why avoid G/T in summer?
Because most people don't like to hike with hundreds of others at the same time and parking on that road is a nightmare on a weekened. Alternatively just do it on a middle weekday. You will still have others on the trail but far fewer.

As for the original question, as others have said, it's trail all the way to the summit. You don't really need a guide for that. If you are coming from out of state make sure you have given yourself a few days to acclimate, maybe do a local hike like Mt. Morrison or similar to help with that process. I would take 3 liters of water per person, get started by 6am. You will be fine.
14er101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14er101 »

It is unbelievably crowded, near impossible to find a hiking or parking place.
Three words to describe mountaineering: Suffer, forget, repeat. Afterall, climbing is just a fancy way of building up a pain tolerance.
Every step you take is one step closer to the top.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

The crowds will be horrendous on a summer weekend. Loud music, trash, and tons of grossly underprepared folks will be the norm. You'll probably end up parking way below the trailhead, and there's a non-trivial chance that an idiot who tried to reach it in their prius will have blocked the road when they get stuck. Alternate routes should be fine, but the summits will still be very crowded.