Intro Ridge and Route Finding

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hogwildHTX
Trip Reports (0)

Intro Ridge and Route Finding

Post by hogwildHTX »

Hello all,

I am heading to Colorado in August and trying to get some intro into scrambling, route-finding and ridge traversing under my belt. I have extensive hiking and backpacking experience, but overall have not gotten into the earlier mentioned. I am going to be going solo and was looking for some soft introductions into them as to not bite off more than I can chew. I have 14er experience in the way of Grays and Mt. Whitney, and for the most part do well at high altitude. Was looking to hit the Mosquito range and take down Democrat and Lincoln to start. Any recommendations on what to follow up with? Maybe follow up Gray's with Torreys?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Intro Ridge and Route Finding

Post by justiner »

If around the Democrat Group, doing the traverse from Buckskin to Democrat, then taking the north ridge to Clinton would be a really great ridge hike. (you would have to return to Democrat after Clinton). If that's too much to swallow, moving a little N and checking out the ridge near Sherman would be a little easier. Dyer - Sherman - Horseshoe is an easy ridge hike, while also staying up high.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Father Dyer's east ridge is a great 3rd cl intro. Exciting position, but never desperate. Exposure is limited.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 288 3 24
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

Pettingell to Hassell is a nice intro ridge
Harrison1991
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison1991 »

justiner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:55 pm If around the Democrat Group, doing the traverse from Buckskin to Democrat, then taking the north ridge to Clinton would be a really great ridge hike. (you would have to return to Democrat after Clinton). If that's too much to swallow, moving a little N and checking out the ridge near Sherman would be a little easier. Dyer - Sherman - Horseshoe is an easy ridge hike, while also staying up high.
I can concur on the Sherman to dyer ridge. I did this yesterday, and it was a great experience. The descent from Gemini is fairly steep. It was a fun route, and very straightforward
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

+1 on Buckskin-Democrat traverse - it's a great starter ridge and one of the earliest that I did (I put up a trip report with lots of details on that if you're interested). Gets you a centennial and at least one 14er in the same trip.