Trailhead access road questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgl45
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Trailhead access road questions

Post by mgl45 »

I have been reading up on access road conditions and am wondering if anyone, based on their experience on these roads, would caution against either of these two scenarios on the access roads for Mount Sherman (Fourmile Creek), Gray's Peak (Upper Trailhead) or Mount Elbert (North):

1) stock 4WD truck with street tires
2) stock 4WD truck with street tires and a slide in camper (i.e. would extra weight and clearance be a concern)

I did found this very helpful page about trailhead access roads (thanks!), just hoping to drill a little deeper on these points.
https://14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads_bydifficulty.php

Thanks much for any advice anyone has!
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Trailhead access road questions

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

You should be good on those. I don’t know about the Elbert trailhead. On any of those trailheads make sure you leave incredibly early as they will be full by 4:30-5:00. I drive an ancient dodge dakota with garbage clearance and it’s made it up the grays and Sherman trailheads.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

In addition to getting there early, I would recommend backing in to whatever space you choose.

I came back from Elbert and was 99% blocked in and had to do a roughly 100 point turn in reverse because some guy in a jeep thought it was cool to park directly behind me. Won't make that mistake of pulling in again.
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:38 pm You should be good on those. I don’t know about the Elbert trailhead. On any of those trailheads make sure you leave incredibly early as they will be full by 4:30-5:00. I drive an ancient dodge dakota with garbage clearance and it’s made it up the grays and Sherman trailheads.
Thanks for the information!
mgl45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgl45 »

ultrarunningkid wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:46 pm In addition to getting there early, I would recommend backing in to whatever space you choose.

I came back from Elbert and was 99% blocked in and had to do a roughly 100 point turn in reverse because some guy in a jeep thought it was cool to park directly behind me. Won't make that mistake of pulling in again.
Thanks for the advice!