Mt Wilson Weather around Labor Day

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikehike
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Wilson Weather around Labor Day

Post by mikehike »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to add Mt Wilson as a stop on my trip to Zion, Bryce and Arches at the end of Aug and first week of September. What kind of weather is typical for this time of year?
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt Wilson Weather around Labor Day

Post by Sbenfield »

Summer mountain conditions is expected, although last year there was an early snowstorm at Labor Day time. Possible lightning storms and rain in the afternoon is what I would expect
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

This is one of the best times of year to hike. Thunderstorms are few and far between, and the weather is still summer like generally. Snow storms can happen this time of year but they are rare.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

August and September is the typically wettest time of the year in that area of Colorado. Late August/Early September is the wettest of all according to the latest WRCC 30-year averages at the nearby weather stations. Thunderstorm season starts later and ends later than in most of Colorado, so it's definitely still thunderstorm seasons in the San Juans.

That said though, Colorado is still a sunny state and has more good weather than bad and it can still be a great time to climb. Even during the wettest time of year, there should be plenty of good weather on most days.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.