Marmots at Upper Wetterhorn trailhead

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sarahw
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Marmots at Upper Wetterhorn trailhead

Post by sarahw »

We had a sad thing happen at the Wetterhorn trailhead yesterday, and I wanted others to be aware as I’ve not heard of this happening before. We had camped in our vehicle overnight, gotten up for an alpine start, and returned from our climb. Upon starting our vehicle, our driver heard a strange sound and felt a shudder in the engine. People around the vehicle started pointing underneath it. They said they saw a marmot scurry away dragging its back legs. Turns out the poor guy had climbed up into the engine and was injured when the vehicle was started. He dragged himself into his den and we couldn’t find him to try and help. 😔
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Marmots at Upper Wetterhorn trailhead

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Sad,

I hate the thought of injured animals, but damn marmots are annoying. In the future it may make sense to knock just to see as that cannot be healthy for the engine. I usually drop some predator urine around my car and knock on wood that usually helps.

Unfortunately this is rather common, including some hikers taking a marmot over 100 miles home back to their garage before noticing they had a passenger.
The spindoctor
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The spindoctor »

When I was up there last year, marmots were all over the place around the trailhead. Had some unrelated truck issues so didn't get to hike, but I plan on bringing some of that plastic construction fence to wrap around this year. Can't be too safe 1000 miles from home.
-Justin
colin j
14ers: 45  3 
13ers: 103 10
Trip Reports (5)

Post by colin j »

It's only a sample size of one but I have been using this animal repellent for the past two years and haven't had any animal or rodent issues. I was even at the upper 4WD TH for Matterhorn Creek on a two night backpack a few weeks ago and had no issues. You can find this at most hardware stores.

https://www.amazon.com/BONIDE-PRODUCTS- ... 9356&psc=1
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Well thats one marmot that won't climb into a vehicle to chew wires anymore.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche