GPX viewer app?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
flatlander001
Trip Reports (0)

GPX viewer app?

Post by flatlander001 »

Hi-- I'm looking to download some GPX fileS and be able to view them/my position on route online, does anyone know of a relatively affordable app for iPhone/iOS that I can download? I have Gaia right now, but it seems like I'd have to subscribe for $40 a year to be able to view offline, which I am reluctant to do on my current budget.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: GPX viewer app?

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

I use the free version and it works fine offline. It's best to be in airplane mode anyways to save battery. You just need to load map while you still have coverage.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I carry a garmin etrex for hiking but I've found the free app USA Topo Maps very useful for cycling. It has a few map layer somewhat like Caltopo (not nearly as many layers). And it does display user gpx files.
Roll No Rocks
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

ViewRanger's a'ight
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
HylianHero
14ers: 31 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HylianHero »

I have an Android, but there is an app called GPX Viewer that will work offline.

There is a pro option, but it seems like as long as I've downloaded the file, it works offline.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:57 pm I use the free version and it works fine offline. It's best to be in airplane mode anyways to save battery. You just need to load map while you still have coverage.
^This.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

CalTopo is a little geekier, but I like the features(and love the desktop browser version). It’ll be able to show many tracks and your position.

If you want an offline *map* viewer, then you’ll have to pay- $20/year - a cool $1.60/month. It also works very well.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Copied from another post asking a similar question:
supranihilest wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 am For peak bagging I use... Drumroll please... Peakbagger. Yep.
  • Free
  • Offline topo map downloads
  • Daily low-res and weekly high-res satellite photos
  • Find peak waypoints easily and save them offline
  • Trip reports and GPX tracks easily downloadable (if one is available for a particular peak)
  • Peaks available worldwide, not just in US
  • Syncs to Lists of John for LoJers
Spanish Peaks overview with tracks I downloaded right from the app. I can also download GPX from LoJ/All Trails/Hiking Project/anywhere that has GPX tracks and import them to Peakbagger.

West Spanish Peak overview.

West Spanish Peak GPX closeup for fine detail.

Want to know where you are on a track, or where a spot on a track is? You can find that out.

Track details.

ImageImage
Selection of peaks and tracks I've saved offline.

High-level overview of Boulder and Jefferson counties with dozens of tracks I've saved.

I don't trust an app on my phone not to kill the battery, plus what happens if I drop my phone on a rock and destroy the thing, so I also use a GPS watch (Garmin Fenix 5) for ~20-24 hour battery life and breadcrumb trail, and a Garmin inReach for connectivity to the outside world (friends and family can watch live on an online map) and texting, plus multi-day battery life. Never had to use the SOS on my inReach but it's available if need be.

If you're only going to get one, single device I'd recommend an inReach since it has damn near every feature you could want, but the drawback is that it's not cheap.
Again - free, offline maps and GPX imports. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Klad24
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Klad24 »

I second Peakbagger. That app is so incredibly useful, it's almost unbelievable it's all free.
Aozalazar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aozalazar »

Backcountry navigator is awesome and one time few on $10 for life. It might cost more since I bought it 10 years ago but I'm still using it
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Aozalazar wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:19 pm Backcountry navigator is awesome and one time few on $10 for life. It might cost more since I bought it 10 years ago but I'm still using it
+1

I've used this for years and have been happy with it. Unfortunately, the developers have released some new and improved versions and support for the old one I bought 9 years ago seems to be waning. I also like Caltopo but it seems to burn more battery than BCN.
Aim high to end high
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

If you're just interested in mainly 14er routes, use the 14ers.com mobile app. :) It's all in there, including the route lines on the map.

Otherwise, my recommendations are:
- GAIA
- Peak Bagger
- Backcountry Navigator
- And CalTopo, although a bit more difficult of an interface
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs