First Free of Satan's Ridge

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First Free of Satan's Ridge

Post by Barnold41 »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:59 pm It's the short shorts for me.
Those are short? :lol:
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

gb wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:04 pm He skied Cap this year, too. With quite a bit of style I might add, despite the low snow year.
I'm curious as to what the 'bit of style' was?

Pretty tense moments up there for him! I enjoyed that video, so thanks for sharing and congrats to that guy! Would be interesting to hear his before/after thoughts on this trip.
coopereitel
14ers: 58  4  1 
13ers: 45 7 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by coopereitel »

Just nuts. Congrats to this man
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

d_baker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm
He has a few videos clips on his IG. Conditions were thin last year but he was skiing through the rock gardens, and I appreciated that, and recognize a good skier when I see one. Sidestepping through all of that would have been a comparative lack of style. IMO
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Can anyone here confirm whether Paul was wearing "trail runners" (as someone here surmised earlier in this thread), or perhaps some kind of approach shoes? Personally, it's tough for me to imagine down climbing 5.7 at altitude in trail runners as that would add a whole lot of unnecessary risk and effort.

Also, what impresses me most is Paul's ability to maintain such a high-level of focus for such a long time, especially given such loose conditions. Way to go Paul! Watching your video was the highlight of my day!
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

OldTrad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 am Can anyone here confirm whether Paul was wearing "trail runners" (as someone here surmised earlier in this thread), or perhaps some kind of approach shoes?
Yes, he was wearing La Sportiva Mutants. They're trail runners, but they've got good sticky rubber (though fresh out of the box, they're not ideal - better after getting some miles on the outsoles).
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:59 pm
That was my thought too. I routinely hike in running shorts with a 1 inch inseam.

That route is way over my comfort level. Had sweaty hands just watching some of that.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Whew! “Danger Hiking” for real!
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am I routinely hike in running shorts with a 1 inch inseam.
Ok, 1'' inseam is short IMO. Mine are 5'' and I roll them up.
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

gb wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:42 am
He has a few videos clips on his IG. Conditions were thin last year but he was skiing through the rock gardens, and I appreciated that, and recognize a good skier when I see one. Sidestepping through all of that would have been a comparative lack of style. IMO
Paul is an incredible skier and quite the runner as well. The speed at which he did this is incredible nevermind doing the actual route truly ridge proper...

Congratulations Paul!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 am
Barnold41 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:59 pm
That was my thought too. I routinely hike in running shorts with a 1 inch inseam.
Oh, I frequently rock my Thigh of the Tiger ranger panties.
But let's not forget what those are called. Ranger panties.

If you're wearing something with a 1 inch inseam, they're not shorts. If you go shorter than that you've just got Spanx.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

areed20 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:41 pm
gb wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:42 am
Paul is an incredible skier and quite the runner as well. The speed at which he did this is incredible nevermind doing the actual route truly ridge proper...

Congratulations Paul!
+1

Ridge proper for sure. Paul did a great job of staying right on it. When I was up there 11 years ago with Steve Gladbach and Noah McKelvin we were off ridge proper by 10 to 20 feet through the most difficult sections. As someone who has been up there I have full respect for what and how Paul did this.

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin