First 14er for very experienced hikers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
smbigs1
Trip Reports (0)

First 14er for very experienced hikers

Post by smbigs1 »

Hello. At the end of September my BF and I will be in Vail for a week. We are very experienced hikers. We are both Adirondack 46ers. We have both done knifes edge Katadhin. I am also a Catskills 3500er, Saranac 6er Winter , Lake George 12 winter and Ultra , lake placid 9 , Vermont 5 , Firetower , half way through North East Ultra 8 , hiked Washington, Adams , Madison in NH and Mitchell , Leconte down south. Outside of hiking my BF climbs 3 days a week. Saying all this so yah we have experience BUT not with a Colorado mountain and not with altitude above 6000ft. So,
1) weather: we will be there end of Sept and I’m not bringing my snowshoes and hate to bring crampons on the plane. What’s the weather like ? Should we expect snow ?
2) the most obvious question what mountains/ peaks would you recommend near Vail if we could only hike one or 2 days.
3) a bit worried about the altitude too. Looking for a hike that’s not too strenuous for someone that’s at sea level most of the time and only gets to 4000ft+ on weekends
If there is going to be snow what lower mountains would be a great experience as a good representation of Colorado ?
Thank you so much.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: First 14er for very experienced hikers

Post by pvnisher »

I like your list. No one on this forum has any idea what any of that means. Ha.

There's literally a thousand threads on acclimation. It'll depend on your physiology. Time, rest, hydration, limit alcohol. I've got from sea level to 14k overnight with nothing more than a super bad headache. But I was younger then, ha. Don't count on that.

Weather in late Sept can be full on blizzard and snow or beautiful. Check forecast and have backup plans. Don't be afraid to stay lower of the weather and on ground conditions aren't favorable.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey, welcome.
September - anything can happen, but September is usually a fairly stable weather month and you are very UNLIKELY to need snowshoes or crampons. The chances of that are very low, but September snow storms have happened. I'd plan on a mostly-summer conditions hike, with maybe some wind to contend with and cooler temps at night/up high. Puffy jacket and gloves, sure, but I would not worry about bringing snow gear.
Looks like y'all know what you're doing and you're fit, altitude is always kind of a toss up though. It will probably just make you feel slow and sluggish, but it can knock very fit people on their asses. OR it can have no effect on you at all. No way to know really until you're here. Bring more water and food than you suspect you'll need, bring some ibuprofen, pay attention to your body cues.
If you're based in Vail you have plenty of options. Quandary and Grays & Torreys are easy, but busy, so look into parking restrictions, and plan for pre-dawn starts and factor in the crappy road to the G&T trailhead. Bierstadt isn't far, and it's a circus but it's a nice easy hike. Elbert, Huron, Belford, and La Plata might also be good options. Take a peak at the detailed pages for those peaks and see what kind of mileage/elevation gain/terrain you're feeling.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:27 pm No one on this forum has any idea what any of that means. Ha.
Nyker would know all about that.
And he could have some input for the op since he comes from NY frequently to hike here.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

smbigs1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:11 pm
2) the most obvious question what mountains/ peaks would you recommend near Vail if we could only hike one or 2 days.
Look into Gore Range and/or Tenmile Range peaks. Gore will have a decent amount of elevation gain, but bang for your buck. Mt Solitude would be a decent choice. Some routefinding/off trail to get up it, but you would likely be fine. There's a good trail for 3/4 of the approach or so.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

smbigs1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:11 pm We have both done knifes edge Katadhin.
1) weather: we will be there end of Sept and I’m not bringing my snowshoes and hate to bring crampons on the plane. What’s the weather like ? Should we expect snow ?
3) a bit worried about the altitude too. Looking for a hike that’s not too strenuous for someone that’s at sea level most of the time and only gets to 4000ft+ on weekends
If there is going to be snow what lower mountains would be a great experience as a good representation of Colorado ?
Thank you so much.
Knife's edge route on Katahdin feels like doing one of Colorado's mid range fourteeners difficulty-wise. It's definitely an ass kicker going up the Helon Taylor trail.

September is my favorite month to go hiking. You guys could encounter an early-season snow storm but you will absolutely not need crampons. Crampons are for Consolidated snow and in September the snow is not going to be Consolidated. I highly doubt you would need snow shoes either. If you're worried about the snow, or potential for it, just bring a pair of microspikes. I always have them in my backpack.

If you are in Vail and I would drive over Tennessee pass on us-24 and come to Leadville and look at hiking Elbert. 13ers have much less traffic and usually no trail. There are some 12ers near Vail which aren't too bad. You'd get less elevation, but still above treeline to enjoy the alpine environment.
smbigs1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smbigs1 »

Thanks for the quick feed back. I’ll look into what’s been suggested above.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

September is the best month to hike. I’d recommend grays/torreys via kelso or bierstadt/evans via sawtooth (both have bailout options after the first peak). Both are great half days that you can make a full day. No need for any snow gear on standard routes, but bring a cold weather puffy just in case. Good warmup hikes could be something in the LCW, one of Boulders many options, or hike into one of many thousand basins.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Yes, Sept is my favorite month in Colo.
I've woken up to bottles frozen solid in my tent and 10 inches of unexpected snow, and also hiked in a t shirt.

Luckily most of the afternoon thunderstorms are gone. Just be aware it can get really cold at night or if weather moves in. Have fun.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

smbigs1 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:11 pm Hello. At the end of September my BF and I will be in Vail for a week. We are very experienced hikers. We are both Adirondack 46ers. We have both done knifes edge Katadhin. I am also a Catskills 3500er, Saranac 6er Winter , Lake George 12 winter and Ultra , lake placid 9 , Vermont 5 , Firetower , half way through North East Ultra 8 , hiked Washington, Adams , Madison in NH and Mitchell , Leconte down south. Outside of hiking my BF climbs 3 days a week. Saying all this so yah we have experience BUT not with a Colorado mountain and not with altitude above 6000ft. So,
Thank you so much.
Welcome fellow east coaster, assume from NY?

So, as 46'ers, technical difficulty-wise you should have no issues with the terrain on any of the 14ers - and most of the rock in Colorado is dry! No red slime like on Allen, no slick wet vertical rootpack to climb like on Colvin and Blake, no running waterfalls to climb up.
Most routes are not as long as say Haystack, Skylight, Couch, etc. and switchbacks are common lower down. Some portions of harder peaks have more exposure and longer sight lines than ADK peaks which is intimidating for some folks used to climbing a mountain while in the woods the whole time like many peaks around NY where after climbing for 6hrs, you suddenly appear on a summit with no fanfare and just a wooden sign nailed to a fir tree.

As far as which peaks to do near Vail, any of the ones mentioned would be good plus Holy Cross which is close to Vail. Harvard/Columbia from Frenchmans Creek is a nice walk in, but really any of the Sawatch peaks would be cool along R24 and likely a little less crowded than Grays/Torreys/Bierstadt/Evans, but those are good options too in the Front Range. Peaks in CO are more classified by Class Rating than 46ers which don't seem to have any class rating despite some class 4 moves on many peaks and ratingless terrain with roots/slime/climbing up running waterfalls. Most peaks rated with routes as Class 1 and 2 are pretty straight forward. Class 3/4 routes will involve more ADK-like holds and steeper rock sections. Given your experience in NY I might suggest Longs which was my first 14er and really great climb, but if you opt for Longs best do that on a better weather day. Effort/mileage/gain is comparable to Haystack plus the altitude...

As you mention, the main thing different from NY/east coast you'll need to focus on and be mindful of is acclimatization and knowing how your body operates 'while exerting yourself' above 10k ft. Best thing to do would be to do an easy walk to 10/11k the day after you get in, see how you feel and to have a night or two at moderate altitudes first, i.e. Denver one night, Vail night two then climb on day three if you can swing that. The air is drier than in the NE, so you'll need to drink more fluids and limit alcohol before your climb and try not to dehydrate. Also, depending on the peaks you do, the roads to the trailhead will likely be dirt with some tougher than others so consider that in your vehicle choice (one big difference from NY where trails are longer, but trailheads are closer to or on main roads).

Weather...Late September could very well have decent snow on the peaks, but could also have none. I've had days with 8" of snow in Aug and no snow in mid November, though snow in September will likely be loose and powdery. I know checking luggage is a pain to bring crampons/spikes, poles etc, but having them would increase your chances of success and minimize the chances of slipping should you be on the peak with packed snow/ice. On any of the Front Range/Sawatch 14ers if there is snow then, chances are there will be some bootpack / packed snow which on a steep grade will warrant some traction even if only a couple inches of snow fell but is hardpacked/icy. You don't want to fly out, plan and organize your whole trip and get turned around at 13,500 due to snow and ice and not have simple spikes. Not sure if full crampons or an axe is needed or will help that early in that early season snow but never know, maybe microspikes at least. Poles are a personal option, I prefer them especially in snow. Snowshoes, well I'd say probably not needed in September but again, never know. One thing though on snowshoes - whereas they are required in the High Peaks in NY in winter/snowfall, they are not required by rangers in CO, so nobody will turn you around or give you a ticket if you are out with them (or skis) like up here...

One other difference vs NY is mountain lions are out in CO. Doubtful you'll ever see one, but they're there...while in NY they are only 'rumored' to be out there :-k
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

d_baker wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:40 pm
pvnisher wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:27 pm No one on this forum has any idea what any of that means. Ha.
Nyker would know all about that.
And he could have some input for the op since he comes from NY frequently to hike here.
Yes! I was smiling as I was reading her description of firetowers, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid peaks... \:D/
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

get an Rx for diamox and consider taking it prophylactically; dexamethasone might be overkill but both are cheap and will last for years stored properly. the latter is effective fairly quickly and can be used on descent, i.e. as you're turning back after onset of AMS. you'll rest easier knowing you have them, but you are unlikely to need them. in my experience, adolescent males are most prone to AMS.