14er Beginner Based in Colorado Springs Where to Begin

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mike_Buccola
Trip Reports (0)

14er Beginner Based in Colorado Springs Where to Begin

Post by Mike_Buccola »

Hi,
I'm an experienced hiker but only 3 weeks of CO hiking experience. My partner is a newbie but lives in CO Springs. Need advice on hiking some beginner 14ers out of CO Springs. I have 1 week to hike this Summer. As a beginner 14er, what nearby 14ers do you recommend? Would like to stay within a 2 hour drive from CO Springs.
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 157 12
Trip Reports (4)

Re: 14er Beginner Based in Colorado Springs Where to Begin

Post by cloudkicker »

Yale would be the best bang for your buck, almost exactly 2 hours drive from the Springs with a paved trailhead, bomber trail, and gorgeous summertime views. Otherwise your only real options at <2 hours are Pikes, Evans/Bierstadt, and Sherman. Good luck and be sure to search around for tips on how to prepare (a 30 second google search or forum search should suffice, there are endless articles and posts out there making research very easy)
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

In addition to Pikes, you could target any of the Sawatch Peaks which makes a nice drive west from CO Springs, the more southern ones being a bit closer to you:
Shavano, Tabeguache, Antero, Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Huron, Missouri, Oxford, Belford; possibly Decalibron peaks near Alma.
You could do Mt Sherman which might be closer as the crow flies to you, though given the dirt road approach might take longer.
Also you could add on some 13ers near the above peaks to round out your day.
Mike_Buccola
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike_Buccola »

Thanks guys for quick response. Very helpful.

Happy Trails!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

I know that it maybe a bit beyond your 2 hour limit,
but I recommend (several trips to) Winfield Colorado.

It is an old (now deserted) mining town in a beautiful valley
between several easy 14ers.

It is located between Buena Vista and Leadville and about
10 miles up a bumpy but easily passable forest service road.

Plus - don't forget the 12ers and 13ers sub-peaks of Pikes!
Mike_Buccola
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike_Buccola »

Thanks I will consider the area.
PikaSteve
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (5)

Post by PikaSteve »

After you've tried a few Sawatch peaks, try Humboldt Peak for a change of scenery. Note: 4WD required and a bit over 2 hours from CO Springs to the 4WD trailhead. The views of Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak might inspire you and your friend to keep growing your 14er skills. A nice peak progression to take you to different areas while increasing your elevation gains might be: Mt Sherman, Mt Huron, Mt Yale, Humboldt Peak.
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 157 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

PikaSteve wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:46 pm After you've tried a few Sawatch peaks, try Humboldt Peak for a change of scenery. Note: 4WD required and a bit over 2 hours from CO Springs to the 4WD trailhead. The views of Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak might inspire you and your friend to keep growing your 14er skills. A nice peak progression to take you to different areas while increasing your elevation gains might be: Mt Sherman, Mt Huron, Mt Yale, Humboldt Peak.
He said he’ll only be in Colorado for a week. I suggested Yale (after a couple days of acclimatizing) simply because it’s far more beautiful and rewarding than Sherman. Sherman is good but it’s a 2.5-3 hour drive (depending on Fairplay side or Leadville side) and the views are nowhere near as great.

Good advice if he’s planning on coming out more after this though.
Mike_Buccola
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike_Buccola »

Thanks again. Yale is one of the hikes we are considering,