Trailhead for Grays/Torreys

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Randy113
Trip Reports (0)

Trailhead for Grays/Torreys

Post by Randy113 »

I'm planning a trip in mid-May from Philadelphia and was wondering at what point, on average, can you get to the summer trailhead, high clearance vehicle assumed?
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Trailhead for Grays/Torreys

Post by bmcqueen »

It really depends on the year. Most years by mid-May, you'd be able to get to the summer TH. A few years back though, Kelso Mountain avalanched across the road in April and the summer TH wasn't accessible for quite a while. Obviously, the closer to your planned dates you ask, the better the info and feel folks out here will be able to give you. Hope that helps.

Brad
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

bmcqueen wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:50 pm A few years back though, Kelso Mountain avalanched across the road in April and the summer TH wasn't accessible for quite a while
I remember doing G and T that year on June 29th and having to park 1.5 miles from trailhead.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 pm I remember doing G and T that year on June 29th and having to park 1.5 miles from trailhead.
1st time I did G&T I had to park at least that far because that's as far as I thought my sedan could make it. It was a Friday in Sept so it was still a pretty, mostly car free, road walk.
Randy113
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy113 »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the insight.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 pm
bmcqueen wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:50 pm A few years back though, Kelso Mountain avalanched across the road in April and the summer TH wasn't accessible for quite a while
I remember doing G and T that year on June 29th and having to park 1.5 miles from trailhead.
Cheater!
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Will_E wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:11 am
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Cheater!
Ha! I did tack on Kelso Mtn at least.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point