First routes to open up in the spring?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
J Gregg
Trip Reports (0)

First routes to open up in the spring?

Post by J Gregg »

Howdy,

Are there certain routes/peaks that traditionally clear up first for regular hiking (not requiring crampons or snow shoes)? I’m new to 14ers (did Bierstadt Greys and Torreys last year) and want to get an early start this year but don’t really want take any undue risk if I don’t have. Any suggestions critiques are welcome, I don’t get offended. Shoot it to me straight, thanks.

Joshua
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First routes to open up in the spring?

Post by -wren- »

Sniktau is only a 13er but can be done 85-90+ percent of the year with no special gear since the trail starts on a ridge above treeline, elbert and quandary clean up fairly quick as well. My advice would be to just keep an eye on condition updates which will start rolling in very quick by june.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

I agree w/the above. Your best bet would be a A: south-facing route that B: stays mostly on a ridge in C: an area where there isn't as much annual snowfall (those are the 3 criteria that come to mind).

For 14ers, things like Shavano, Quandary, and Pikes are good early peaks. Probably Humboldt too, but I haven't climbed it so I won't speak to it.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

If you are open to non high peaks, look into doing the skyline traverse in Boulder. Will mostly be dried out in a month or require microspikes in some sections. Shoulder season is kind of all over the place and can be a slog without snowshoes. Look into SquareTop too by Bierstadt, it will require snowshoes at the least early season. Audobon is another one in front range but will require snowshoes. Check out Marble Mtn too for late May if you are hell bent for no snowshoes.
What time frame are you looking at here? All of the San Juans are pretty well covered right now and will be for all April till mid may.
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I usually start with lower peaks in early-mid spring. I'm in the metro so I typically start with stuff in Lost Creek Wilderness, maybe even lower south facing slopes in Mt Evans Wilderness. This lets me start getting a solid base but also let's me see first hand what conditions are like. Then I just push elevation as I see fit.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

That goes for the rest of you non-snowers too, stay of the high peaks till the snow clears!
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

Check daily for peak conditions with pictures, may have alot more success in the Facebook groups in this regard. I would start with potential peaks with routes of low class and low avy danger so think steepness on and above the trail you are doing. If you find something, post and ask about considerations on the route. There are common points to consider on many routes. For example Kit Carson's avenue on the standard stays snowed in for awhile longer then the surrounding terrain.

For me, I scanned routes on many peaks and looked into past posts mentioning these routes at the same time, (like trip reports for the same route at the same time of year). Takes a little investigation but with the number of picture posts and conditions updates that starts occurring soon you can make general assessments/assumptions with decent accuracy on potential hikes.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

I would also second hellman's comment with the ABC criteria as a great starting place.
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.
J Gregg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J Gregg »

Thanks everyone for the input and tips. The ABC rule makes sense. I’m hoping to start putting some miles behind me by May, possibly this month if my schedule works out and the conditions are adequate.