Quandary this weekend, April 9th

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maloi17
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary this weekend, April 9th

Post by maloi17 »

Hi, I have read just about every trip report posted in April and May for last 3 years, yet still want to confirm a few things:
1. Lots of people say snowshoes are a must in April and May, but most everyone says they are too lazy to put them on and managed without them. Considering that upcoming Saturday will be pretty warm, am I going to be ok without snowshoes? (plan to leave trailhead 5-5:30 am, slow to medium speed hiker)
2. Done a few 14ers in summer and fall, but never in Spring season, other than bringing additional layers for warmth, spikes, and keeping water from freezing, what else will be different that I should consider?
Also, unfortunately I don't own a GPS, but sounds like there is cell service above tree line, can someone confirm if this is correct and I'll be able to use a phone in case i need to for route finding purposes? (AT&T cell service)

thank you,
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Quandary this weekend, April 9th

Post by dwoodward13 »

1. If its going to be warm that's even more reason to bring the snowshoes as the snow will soften for your descent, especially if you are on the slower side. Its better to have and not need, then not have and need as it can make things miserable (as well as screw the trench up for everyone else behind you).
2. Goggles, Balaclava to cover all exposed skin. If its warm/not windy and you do have exposed skin, sunscreen is maybe more important than in summer! All the snow reflects the sun. Ensure you get sunscreen on the underside of your nose and upper lip. Sunglasses too.
3. Use an app that doesn't require service. GAIA, Backcountry Navigator, 14ers.com App etc all are able to be used in airplane mode without service if you download your map ahead of time.
maloi17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maloi17 »

Thank you dwoodward13, will take note and great points on 2 and 3. For answer 1, I should have specified, it is not that I'm lazy to carry snowshoes, I just don't own a pair. During winter we usually hike well travelled trails that don't require snowshoes and I don't know if I want to purchase them for my first hike that may require them. If they are absolutely necessary, I think I would rather look at another date when not as warm or start even earlier, but if I'll be ok starting at 5-5:30 I would prefer that.
Thank you,
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

maloi17 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:19 pm For answer 1, I should have specified, it is not that I'm lazy to carry snowshoes, I just don't own a pair.
You can rent them too. I'd bring them just in case.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Quandary is nearly impossible to get lost on. There's tyoucally a trench, even after a snow the trench outline is visible. It's an up and down and you can see the highway most of the route. If you have any familiarity with the outdoors finding the route shouldn't be an issue. Snowshoes are more useful up there than GPS. Especially on a weekend. You'll have lots of skiing company

I agree with wood's post. All I would add is have enough layers to be warm or cool. If you only bring a heavy layer, you're hiking in it. Going up hill, in the sun, with no wind? You can be sweating buckets even with minimal layering. Be able to keep covered but not have a lot of bulk. Bring Gatorade. You'll lose a lot of electrolytes via sweat.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Lost maybe impossible, but I got sucked into some trees skiing out last weekend and it was a heinous mank sufferfest, but that’s because I was looking for snow.

If I was gonna just hike it, I’d take trail runners and some micro spikes and it’s absolute cruiser up right now
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Spring hikes on Quandary (standard route) has changed dramatically over the years. You will NOT need a GPS, map, or navigation. Just follow the well-worn trail to the summit and back.

Because the trail is so popular now in winter and spring the trail gets pounded down all season. I'm not saying bringing snowshoes is a bad idea. But if you don't have them you may be just fine as long as you stay on trail. Certainly going up at 5-530am. Coming down through the forest? Hard to say. I've done it just fine the past few years without snowshoes. The trail was so beaten down here wasn't any deep mush to sink in. You just have to pick your way along the trench to avoid obstacles. Someone mentioned trail runners. If you don't mind getting wet, not a bad option.

Of course, it is only early April so you may encounter more winter than spring conditions.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Please update on the peak conditions report page if you went this weekend. I'm probably heading up next Friday or Saturday.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
Grisel
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 46 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grisel »

Posted a conditions report. I don’t see snowshoes being beneficial at all other than a like 10 feet of trail