Mt. Elbert this upcoming weekend (4/16)

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aggiemountainman
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Elbert this upcoming weekend (4/16)

Post by aggiemountainman »

I've tried to find recent trip reports on Mt. Elbert but I haven't had any luck with the exception of some AllTrails reviews which mentioned sloshy snow and poor conditions that may be outdated by the time my group starts our hike. I've analyzed the forecast and it looks like there will be up to a foot of snow soon, but quite honestly I have no idea how that impacts the feasibility of summiting the mountain. I got a few questions regarding the logistics of this climb (via the northeast route).

1. For this mountain, does more snow imply an easier trek up or would I be more susceptible to postholing?
2. Also--is a 4A.M start realistic or is it way too early for trying to summit?
3. I want to ensure that we have the highest chance of summiting this mountain as possible, but I also don't want to die. Is there anything I should look out for while I'm up there?
4. W will be bringing spikes, snowshoes, offline maps, winter clothes, and food/water. Is there anything else that we may be forgetting?

Thanks
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. Elbert this upcoming weekend (4/16)

Post by Scott P »

Fresh snow will not make the hike easier.

The road to the trailhead to the NE Ridge is probably still closed. The East Ridge/South Trailhead is the standard route this time of year.

Mt Elbert should still be doable-just stay on route.

4 AM is not too early.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mt. Elbert this upcoming weekend (4/16)

Post by zootloopz »

Expect lots of wind. Postholing in the afternoon at lower elevations is a possibility.
Expect your ascent tracks on the top 1,000 ft to be blown away by the time you start descending.

East ridge would be the preferred route for Elbert at this time of year.

I would add some emergency blankets/bivvys just in case you need to stop for an extended period of time.
Goggles would also be nice.

Be sure to also read trip and conditions reports in April from past years for a better idea of conditions and what to expect.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment