Best order to complete all 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Best order to complete all 14ers

Post by d_baker »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:34 am Alphabetical
That would be an interesting project.
How do you spell Eolus? (Aeolus?)

Vart, I don't think most plan out every single 14er in a particular order.
When groups/pairs of 14ers are in one area, that would be common. For instance Grays and Torreys, one could choose Grays first if by standard; or Torreys first if going up Kelso Ridge (or other routes).
Otherwise, go with what seems logical for your interest and time available.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Take your time and don't forget 13ers.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Outward from Denver. The closest 20 are all class 1 or 2 walkups. The exception is Longs which could be your first class 3. The further out peaks include harder ones, rougher roads, longer approaches, and overnight camping.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Generally, I would start from the bottom, and hike to the top, then carefully hike to the bottom. Repeat.
Skeletor
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skeletor »

My climbing order came more or less organically, but I came across this suggested order a couple of years ago and I think it has good logic behind it.

https://14erguide.wixsite.com/ascent
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

justiner wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:32 pm Generally, I would start from the bottom, and hike to the top, then carefully hike to the bottom. Repeat.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

shortest to tallest, no skipping and no bundling out of order.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Depends in part on your goals...

Do you want to do the "I did them all in one calendar year"? if so, then I would time it according to conditions/seasons for each peak (i.e. Little Bear is best done in Spring snow, the Class 1-2 peaks are easier snow climbs, etc) whereas a peak like Capitol you want the most stable weather possible for that which could be post Monsoon season, but before snow starts accumulating which makes it a bit tougher (again, depends on your goals, maybe you want to do a snow climb).

If you're not trying to race to finish them, then it doesn't really matter what order you do them in. Depending on your skill level, if you are less experienced in the mountains, then do them in order of increasing difficulty/duration, i.e. do the walk ups first, then add the scrambling ones, then the final harder half dozen or so which are less forgiving of errors/lack of fitness. I agree with others to combine nearby peaks when possible (something I didn't do, because I didn't think I'd climb all 58 when I started so I probably added a lot of duplicate mileage on, for example on 5-6 trips up Lake Como Road).

While I was fortunate to have a great "finishing team" if I were to do it again, I might plan to finish on Pikes or Evans so non-climbing family members could drive to the top and meet me there, which would have been nice.
Doing them again, I might camp more to spend more time in the mountains, bring my fly rod, more photography equipment etc and take it slower.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

stephakett wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 pm shortest to tallest, no skipping and no bundling out of order.
The order is already bundled up. OP started with tallest.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

d_baker wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:28 pm
stephakett wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 pm shortest to tallest, no skipping and no bundling out of order.
The order is already bundled up. OP started with tallest.
oh come on darin, plenty of folks repeat elbert!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Just do what you like. In general, I started with the easier ones and finished on the harder ones.

It took me a decade, I was not really in any rush, and was able to take time and enjoy the scenery. It's a journey, worth repeating with friends and in different seasons, and yes I had a few that took a couple of tries. It's best not to think of it as a list, although I fell into that way of thinking every so often.

And don't be like my "buddy" Mr. α who was willing to be uncollegial in his quest for peakbagging.
IG: jc_solitude
Cide
14ers: 54  5 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cide »

Just balance your checklist with what sounds fun and doable. If you are new to everything, build in class, doesn't take much and is fun! Just bring what you think you need and every peak is another lesson learned if you pay attention.

Enjoy :-D
"Salients in the Void"
Permitting the CO 14ers, A Slow March to a Sad Future.